Think this is what killed my motor?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
It is definite. i have a motor sitting next to me that blew the int valve and seat back into the blower and the rest of the motor.
yeah, but thats an intake valve that got bounced back up into the intake, and rained down in the other cylinders.

this is a bearing that was being claimed it went through the blower, no way that happened

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
When you say #2 and #3, do you mean that you spun a rod bearing on 2 different journals?

I have never seen the bearing shell actually make it right out like that. I can't figure out how it would have slipped from between the other rod or out the crank side without there being other telltale signs. Did the Babbitt maybe separate from the shell?

Curious to see the piston tops and the spark plugs for any signs of detonation.
I was thinking the same thing. How is there not bearing having out from between the rod and crank? Almost seems like the blower lobes and this failure are unrelated. I would also consider the trash you found in the engine was possibly left behind from the initial engine build.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
When you say #2 and #3, do you mean that you spun a rod bearing on 2 different journals?

I have never seen the bearing shell actually make it right out like that. I can't figure out how it would have slipped from between the other rod or out the crank side without there being other telltale signs. Did the Babbitt maybe separate from the shell?

Curious to see the piston tops and the spark plugs for any signs of detonation.

I haven't pulled the plugs yet. I will take a look and see.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, but thats an intake valve that got bounced back up into the intake, and rained down in the other cylinders.

this is a bearing that was being claimed it went through the blower, no way that happened
No one thinks the bearing piece went through the blower. There is no way a piece from the bottom end made it to the blower and no way something that went through the blower made it into the pan. There is damage to the blower lobes from some unknown object going through the blower that probably has nothing to do with the failure.

I believe the two will be unrelated and the actual issue with the motor will be a thrust bearing failure due to a improperly shimmed converter, oil pump that is damaged, or unknown all together and maybe a motor being raced regularly and driven with 600-700 hp just wore out. I will be able to take it to a shop around the 19 and go from there.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
No one thinks the bearing piece went through the blower. There is no way a piece from the bottom end made it to the blower and no way something that went through the blower made it into the pan. There is damage to the blower lobes from some unknown object going through the blower that probably has nothing to do with the failure.

I believe the two will be unrelated and the actual issue with the motor will be a thrust bearing failure due to a improperly shimmed converter, oil pump that is damaged, or unknown all together and maybe a motor being raced regularly and driven with 600-700 hp just wore out. I will be able to take it to a shop around the 19 and go from there.
The thrust bearing shedding part of itself makes the most sense. It would also account for the "wire" looking part of the trash in your pictures

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Pulled the plugs. One side you can see rust from a leaking head gasket. One plug, front passenger side, was a little tight coming out. Had some carbon build up. 20180316_212542.jpg

If everything goes well tomorrow I'll put the motor in my truck and take it to a shop to get fixed.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Dropped off the motor. Been shopping around for an off the shelf forged piston that will put me around stock compression ratio.

I want a good piston, proper wrist pins etc. But only if that needs to be done...

Current CR is 8.9 and I would prefer something closer to stock. Lower the boost by about 3 so the blower isn't spinnng to the moon and hopefully it's an improvement.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Go to Apocalypse performance or modmax racing for the pistons. You can do ross 6cc, CP 6cc, manley, wiseco, or diamond. Ross racing is $699 from modmax with wrist pins and rings. Look for around -6cc for the stock compression.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
is the thrust bearing completely hammered or is that just my eyes?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
To the OP. Your engine MUST BE COMPLETELY disassembled. Remove ALL OIL GALLEY plugs and the block must be meticulously cleaned. This goes for the heads too. ALL OIL PASSAGES MUST BE SPOTLESS with NO DEBRIS or dirt left in them. DO NOT SHORTCUT the REASSEMBLY. Otherwise, you will be looking at this happening again, possibly with even more damage.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To the OP. Your engine MUST BE COMPLETELY disassembled. Remove ALL OIL GALLEY plugs and the block must be meticulously cleaned. This goes for the heads too. ALL OIL PASSAGES MUST BE SPOTLESS with NO DEBRIS or dirt left in them. DO NOT SHORTCUT the REASSEMBLY. Otherwise, you will be looking at this happening again, possibly with even more damage.

Also, if you have an oil cooler, THROW IT AWAY.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
So the damage is as follows:

Pistons, crank, oil pump and one main cap are not serviceable.

A major thrust bearing failure caused the crank to shift and ruin the oil pump (I was going to replace it anyways) and then cook the rods on each side. Other rod bearings were also damaged but not like the two mentioned.

Everything is going to be disassembled and hot tanked. New lifters for sure.

Heads look fine.

Looking at a .10 or .20 over piston in 6cc. From what I have learned so far that would give me about stock compression.

Need a new crank too.

No pictures yet because my phone was dead while at the shop.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
So the damage is as follows:

Pistons, crank, oil pump and one main cap are not serviceable.

A major thrust bearing failure caused the crank to shift and ruin the oil pump (I was going to replace it anyways) and then cook the rods on each side. Other rod bearings were also damaged but not like the two mentioned.

Everything is going to be disassembled and hot tanked. New lifters for sure.

Heads look fine.

Looking at a .10 or .20 over piston in 6cc. From what I have learned so far that would give me about stock compression.

Need a new crank too.

No pictures yet because my phone was dead while at the shop.
Hey marble,

Get ahold of NoviBlownGT (Derek). He has some links with Apocalypse Performance. I'm assuming your rods are okay? If not check out Molnar. I plan on getting my rods and pistons through Derek or ModMax racing. Will be doing Molnar rods and either ross racing pistions or Wiesco pistons. Most likely will go Wiesco cause I want the coated skirt.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
How or what would cause the thrust bearing to fail?

Usually it will fail because of pressure put on the flex plate from the convertor. Or from a manual transmission car where something isn't properly installed and the clutch pushes the flywheel too much and in turn pushes against the crank.

This was a manual transmission car, swapped to a 4r70. When I unbolted the the converter from the flexplate, there were shims, looks like slightly more than 1/8 inch, between the two. My guess is it was improperly shimmed which would cause the failure. But until I get the motor and tranny back together, it's just an educated guess.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back