• Keep

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Sell

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJ427R

Reaction score
I might even argue that 400 whp is ample for a street car. Hell 350whp will out run 95% of the other cars on the street. And do it fast enough that your had better be paying attention or you will cause the accident.

I'm completely with you on that. I have 400rwhp and it's all I can use on the street, I can't imagine having 700+hp in one of these cars for just street use. Even doing track days it would be hard to justify much more than 400hp because you can't get all that power to the ground. I ran at BIR last year with a guy who had a newer Camaro with dual turbo's pushing 800hp, but he could not hold onto it coming out of the corners when those turbos spooled up. I've see Mazda Miata's with less than 150hp eat up 500hp Porsche's on the track, so all that power is not necessary if you can't use it.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
At least with the 07-12 GT-500's, they already come with a larger displacement motor, 2L/122 ci blower, 6060 manual tranny... rated for 600 ft lbs of tq. GT-500 motor already comes with forged crank / rods pistons...+ dual fuel pumps. Either use a smaller pulley for some more hp, or swap the blower for a bigger one..drop in unit... like the VMP TVS-2300 or 2650 blower. Then you don't have to tear the eng apart. If you are planning on paying somebody to rebuild your 4.6 you will go broke in the long drawn out process.
Your proposed megabuck 4.6 L, will then require the 6060 manual tranny, so what you end up with, in essence is transforming your car into a GT-500 wannabee anyway.

The 13/14 GT-500's already come with 615 rwhp...and the newer TVS-2300 blower...right outa the box..stock. They also make a high flow elbow for the 13/14 GT-500's..and smaller pulleys. You can also buy a wide variety of drop in PD blowers for the 13/14 GT-500 ( and ditto with the 07-12 GT-500's). What are you planning to do with the car ? 550 rwhp is more than ample for street use.
Honestly going to be a car that’s only taken out on nice days and to car shows. Just want something that I’ll be able to have a bunch of power and not get too killed with these new ones coming out.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Google will tell you that answer. Told me.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know what would be the better I option gains wise? I’d hate to take a Shelby and mod it all up

Do you know what is better gains wise? I’d feel bad taking a Shelby and modding it all up. Also not sure if it’s cheaper to just get all the forged internals for my 3v it’s basically a brand new engine only 26k miles and I see people building them up to handle 800-1000hp
IMO, the 07 GT500 and up already include forged internals along with 5.4-5.8L 4-valve displacement. Depending on whether your doing the build yourself or paying a performance shop? will determine which is the least expensive route to take. If you're able to do your own build? then yes, it'll be cheaper to build up your 4.6L 3v the way you want, however if you're going to be paying a shop? It's going to cost you far more in labor costs alone in addition to providing the required parts. With the Shelby GT500 5.4-5-8L 4 valve, you already have a completely forged engine ready to go with 540-662 HP right out of the box. That being said, I totally agree with the other posters that 400+HP is more than enough power for a daily driven street duty car.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly going to be a car that’s only taken out on nice days and to car shows. Just want something that I’ll be able to have a bunch of power and not get too killed with these new ones coming out.

Now the truth comes out. Car shows are fun for 2-3 seasons..then the novelty wears off...fast. It's 6+ hrs of prepping the car, followed by hanging around parked, listening to 100% total BS...for 6-7 hrs.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I grew up going to car shows. My Father has always had a fleet of antique cars. I never questioned it until he finished his 1931 Auburn Boattail Speedster and started going to national level shows. I kinda didn't miss going to the shows and still don't 30 some years later. I go to the occasional cruise night and the Syracuse Nationals more years, but I am not into "power parking". They were built to be driven and that's what I do with mine.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Then there's little point in spending thousands on the car. Just do some simple N/A bolt ons, add some styling mods to your own taste, and call it a day.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation and I only do about 3500 miles/year. A pair of LT headers, cams, and retune would get me to 350+rwhp (400hp crank), but that would cost me $2000+ and it's hard to justify that on a low-mile car. Since my car is already faster than at least 98% of other cars on the road, I'm happy to leave it at that and just look cool driving it.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
If everyone is saying all that power is useless why are people constantly trying to get more? And these new Shelby’s and everything else starting off in the 600-700s.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1)not everyone says that...
2) human nature

some of the guys I know have 1200+ whp cars, one guy has a 2800 whp TT UGR Lambo..... sometimes it's never enough

Last edited:

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Then there's little point in spending thousands on the car. Just do some simple N/A bolt ons, add some styling mods to your own taste, and call it a day.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation and I only do about 3500 miles/year. A pair of LT headers, cams, and retune would get me to 350+rwhp (400hp crank), but that would cost me $2000+ and it's hard to justify that on a low-mile car. Since my car is already faster than at least 98% of other cars on the road, I'm happy to leave it at that and just look cool driving it.

Do it! I had an intake, cams, LT’s and a tune done and it woke the car up without being too much to actually enjoy.. shifter and 3.73s made it the perfect balance for cruising and the occasional back street shenanigans!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If everyone is saying all that power is useless why are people constantly trying to get more? And these new Shelby’s and everything else starting off in the 600-700s.

The power isn't useless. It's just that the cost of attaining more HP increases exponentially as the power level goes up, and you then find that you're having to upgrade just about every other system on the car to cope with it.
Many people have been down that road, spent tens of thousands of $$$ on their cars, and eventually either sold them on for a fraction of what they spent, abandoned their projects 'cause they ran out of funds, or totaled their cars in a crash.
It's your money so you can spend it any way you wish, but if you're the type of guy who's likely to become a HP junkie, the car could make you broke very quickly.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is fun as hell with the headers, cams and 93 octane tune. Honestly can't imagine having much more on the street as it will start to break the tires loose at higher RPM's in second gear and that's with my stock 3.55's. 600 hp on the street just seems nutty to me.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Now the truth comes out. Car shows are fun for 2-3 seasons..then the novelty wears off...fast. It's 6+ hrs of prepping the car, followed by hanging around parked, listening to 100% total BS...for 6-7 hrs.

I grew up going to car shows. My Father has always had a fleet of antique cars. I never questioned it until he finished his 1931 Auburn Boattail Speedster and started going to national level shows. I kinda didn't miss going to the shows and still don't 30 some years later. I go to the occasional cruise night and the Syracuse Nationals more years, but I am not into "power parking". They were built to be driven and that's what I do with mine.

It's all perspective. I've been going to shows the last 10+ years and still enjoy it. From cruising to and from the show with friends to hanging out with them. Plus seeing the friends I haven't seen in a while. I have a blast. And I still drive the hell out of my car. As it was built to drive.

My car is fun as hell with the headers, cams and 93 octane tune. Honestly can't imagine having much more on the street as it will start to break the tires loose at higher RPM's in second gear and that's with my stock 3.55's. 600 hp on the street just seems nutty to me.

And for some (like me) 600hp is a ton of fun. I had a blast when I was over 600 and plan to be there again someday. It's all about what you enjoy.

stang_gang

forum member
Reaction score
400hp: use bolt ons keep your current car
400+: sell it and buy a gt500

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back