• Keep

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Sell

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Ok what about when it comes to street say I do go the gt500 route what’s better street wise gt500 or the new gt350?

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
This thread is like rubbing salt in my gaping wallet wound that is a 3 valve mustang lol. After having done my full build once if I ever considered it again I would ask you guys to please talk me down.

stang_gang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok what about when it comes to street say I do go the gt500 route what’s better street wise gt500 or the new gt350?
that's a drivers race both cars are within 30 hp of each other but the gt500 is gonna be a shit ton cheaper than the gt350. If you were to put the difference in price into the gt500 you'd whoop their ass.

Last edited:

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Just get Jason's Mustang that I linked to in my first post on this thread.
600+ hp & ft/lbs for $20K (or less), you won't touch it with anything else price wise.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/f...gine-3v-302ci-6-speed-highly-modified.135535/

You'll have a show car that nobody will walk by without taking a long look and guaranteed not to have one similar at any show.

Agreed. Look at the list of mods.... it's 2 miles long. There is no way in hell you could do what he has done for < $50K. For $20 K, he's literally giving it away.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Just get Jason's Mustang that I linked to in my first post on this thread.
600+ hp & ft/lbs for $20K (or less), you won't touch it with anything else price wise.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/f...gine-3v-302ci-6-speed-highly-modified.135535/

You'll have a show car that nobody will walk by without taking a long look and guaranteed not to have one similar at any show.
Agreed. Look at the list of mods.... it's 2 miles long. There is no way in hell you could do what he has done for < $50K. For $20 K, he's literally giving it away.
I’m deploying in like a month so it’s kinda useless for me to buy soemthing right at the moment but I’m just seeing options and what I should focus on saving the big bucks for

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If everyone is saying all that power is useless why are people constantly trying to get more? And these new Shelby’s and everything else starting off in the 600-700s.

On the street, with a 5 speed, no traction in 1-2-3rd gears. You finally get your traction in 4th gear. On a 6 speed, you won't get traction till you hit 5th gear. One big spin fest. The best you can do on the street is wide drag radials... and rear tire pressure a bit on the low side. With wide rears, and a lot narrower fronts, it will tend to over steer. Kinda tough to set it up for drag racing on the street / strip, then the handling is screwed up on the twisties. Set the suspension up for the twisties, then it's not optimized for drag racing. With 400+ hp, one drop of rain, and it's all for naught, and damned dangerous.

Even in the dry, you can get in over your head in a split second, then it gets away from you. Then it's game over.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
On the street, with a 5 speed, no traction in 1-2-3rd gears. You finally get your traction in 4th gear. On a 6 speed, you won't get traction till you hit 5th gear. One big spin fest. The best you can do on the street is wide drag radials... and rear tire pressure a bit on the low side. With wide rears, and a lot narrower fronts, it will tend to over steer. Kinda tough to set it up for drag racing on the street / strip, then the handling is screwed up on the twisties. Set the suspension up for the twisties, then it's not optimized for drag racing. With 400+ hp, one drop of rain, and it's all for naught, and damned dangerous.

Even in the dry, you can get in over your head in a split second, then it gets away from you. Then it's game over.

So you're saying that a bone stock 2011+ 5.0 is dangerous in the rain? Yes, decent tires make a difference. No, you don't always need drag radials. But you do need a decent tire. Why do you have to automatically run a narrow tire up front? I'm sure a lot of people run a square set up or close to square with high horsepower. It's all about the overall set up.

I've driven a 600hp car in the rain on drag radials and lived to tell about it. The car didn't get squirrelly and it didn't suddenly spin out while going down the freeway. But then I didn't drive like an asshole and my tires had tread.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like most of these commenting you don’t need more then 400hp have never experienced it and Pentalabs just straight ridiculous comments are a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sugar Bear

Reaction score
Look, im not trying to be negative, but its your power plant that sucks. Sorry other 3v guys..... any argument you want to make just says a bunch o money later to get where a 12-14 is already. They do look similar in design, although not the same ......I own a 12, got mine for 17k with all the upgrades on it already, Steeda lowering spring, steeda front adjustable struts, steeda adjustable rear coil overs, Steeda adjustable pan hard bar, Boss intake Manifold, Airaid cold air intake, Corsa axle back, full oem CA Special interior, raxiom deck w/ nav and back up camera, 20 inch shelby razor wheels. Car was not over built but common sense things were done. 79000 miles were on it when i got it, all for 17k

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel like most of these commenting you don’t need more then 400hp have never experienced it

Your feelings betray you. I've been in several cars with more than 400hp. My personal foxbody is 350 to the wheels (400+ crank) and all of them are so much faster than soccer mom Mary and dipshit Don that the vast majority of us would be wiser to spend on suspension. Because when everyone else is slower than you by substantial margins, you are the one that is the road hazard if you are trying to use all your power.

Speed seems to happen almost exponentially, but our reaction times remain linear. The faster one goes the quicker things happen. Often faster than a person can react.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like most of these commenting you don’t need more then 400hp have never experienced it and Pentalabs just straight ridiculous comments are a joke.

I'm just trying to keep the OP from getting himself killed... going from 265 rwhp.... to one helluva lot more...all in one shot. Too many folks supercharge the eng.... then 'forget' to supercharge the brakes/ suspension / tires / wheels/struts / shocks/ springs/LCA /UCA / LCA relocate brackets / LSD / PHB /rotors /calipers/bracing, etc, etc. 500 rwhp on a 2005 car..with little or no supporting suspension/brake/Tire mods will be a handful to drive. Mash the gas with an auto + PD blower.... tranny drops down a bunch of gears, instant boost, instant tq...then hold on for the ride.

I'm not knocking 500-700 rwhp.... but for typ street use, it's over the top.

The OP wants to drive on nice sunny days....and go to car shows. How many novice wannabee's do you let drive your car?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll offer this nugget of info to be considered. My daily driver is a 2013 Focus. Not an ST or an RS. Just a plain little old 2.0 GDI naturally aspirated 4 banger making a grand sum of 160 crank ho hum horsepower and 146 lb-ft. It has a 5 speed manual transaxle. Every single day, rain, snow or sun I am unable to access all 160 horses due to traffic around me. Now I'm not always unable to access it, but probably 75-80% of the time I can't. I actually have to hold myself back because I can out run traffic almost all the time.

Let that fact marinate.

The issue isn't having too much power. It's not having space to safely access it.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
So you're saying that a bone stock 2011+ 5.0 is dangerous in the rain? Yes, decent tires make a difference. No, you don't always need drag radials. But you do need a decent tire. Why do you have to automatically run a narrow tire up front? I'm sure a lot of people run a square set up or close to square with high horsepower. It's all about the overall set up.

I've driven a 600hp car in the rain on drag radials and lived to tell about it. The car didn't get squirrelly and it didn't suddenly spin out while going down the freeway. But then I didn't drive like an asshole and my tires had tread.

I drove my 3v when it was the stock internals with my paxton 2200 all winter 2 years ago with no issues. It's all about the driver. Now I have 711rwhp with a stroker and 6 speed manual tranny and still drive around no problem.

TheGing

Reaction score
Look, im not trying to be negative, but its your power plant that sucks. Sorry other 3v guys..... any argument you want to make just says a bunch o money later to get where a 12-14 is already. They do look similar in design, although not the same ......I own a 12, got mine for 17k with all the upgrades on it already, Steeda lowering spring, steeda front adjustable struts, steeda adjustable rear coil overs, Steeda adjustable pan hard bar, Boss intake Manifold, Airaid cold air intake, Corsa axle back, full oem CA Special interior, raxiom deck w/ nav and back up camera, 20 inch shelby razor wheels. Car was not over built but common sense things were done. 79000 miles were on it when i got it, all for 17k

I love naive 5.0L guys. "but its your power plant that sucks. Sorry other 3v guys." please don't be sorry for your lack of research and knowledge.

3 valves are one of the most underrated power trains around. re: video posted above.

Last edited:

TheGing

Reaction score
Another key aspect many aren't queuing in on is power to weight ratio. S550's are boats, I've ran my cam'd 3 valve, 4.10's, bolt ons against a number of track packed s550's and absolutely rattled their cages. If you can do most of the work yourself you can easily build a 3 valve to deliver excellent power numbers for an affordable cost, especially considering you already have the car...

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score

I am sorry but your not comparing apples to apples. A built 3v motor with supporting mods will easily be able to put a beat down on a bolt on coyote motor. Now if we were talking a built coyote vs a built 3v then your correct. In the end there is no replacement for displacement. The 3v as far as i am aware can be at most a 326 motor were as I believe a coyote can then become a 344. In ops situation though a built coyote motor alone with those specs would be around 15k.... For just the motor. (At least according to Jpc's website.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Generally, and depending on your financial situation, sell the 3v, buy a S550. The DOB kit, 3.73s and good tires were the best mods I did. Building a forged short block, cranking up the boost, also fun, but not proportionally to the cost.

As the price of used S550s go down my supercharger and TR6060 may find a new home in a few years.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back