What is this annoying tick?

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
FRPP now sells a kit that comes with tensioners, phasers, phaser bolts, chains, guides, bolts, and the lower sprocket for $280 or so.

It would be a good time to change cams out if that's on your horizon.

Yes was definitely considering hot rods in the spring. May do all of this at te same time.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Since I had the cams off, I assume all I would have to do for cams is remove the cam caps, then install new cams and torque new cam caps correct?

Does anyone know if I would need lockouts or are the OEM phasers compatible with NSR cams?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Since I had the cams off, I assume all I would have to do for cams is remove the cam caps, then install new cams and torque new cam caps correct?

Does anyone know if I would need lockouts or are the OEM phasers compatible with NSR cams?

NSR cams don't usually need phaser mods. I think that there is a thumper that specifies limiters but I don't understand why because the lift is only .450".

To change out cams it's just a remove and replace. You will also need new phaser bolts. There are several detailed write-ups here and on the internet.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
NSR cams don't usually need phaser mods. I think that there is a thumper that specifies limiters but I don't understand why because the lift is only .450".

To change out cams it's just a remove and replace. You will also need new phaser bolts. There are several detailed write-ups here and on the internet.

I have done the timing chain and phasers and retimed the engine so I would assume that if I had done cams with the timing kit It would have been only taking off the cam caps as additional work right?

I already had the phasers and bolts off and the chain. I bet its a pain to do it without removing the cover tho.

EDIT: power wise what would I gain with stage 1 NSR vs Stage 1 VSR? I am doing an engine build in March and might as well do it, install will practically be free since the build is already being paid for. They are going to be removing the cams for the machine shot anyway.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have done the timing chain and phasers and retimed the engine so I would assume that if I had done cams with the timing kit It would have been only taking off the cam caps as additional work right?

I already had the phasers and bolts off and the chain. I bet its a pain to do it without removing the cover tho.

EDIT: power wise what would I gain with stage 1 NSR vs Stage 1 VSR? I am doing an engine build in March and might as well do it, install will practically be free since the build is already being paid for. They are going to be removing the cams for the machine shot anyway.

If the heads are being torn down then absolutely put stiffer springs in during reassembly. Even if you don't need them yet. It took me a weekend to swap springs with the motor in the car. With the heads on a bench it was less than 2 hours. It's a huge difference in accessability.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
If the heads are being torn down then absolutely put stiffer springs in during reassembly. Even if you don't need them yet. It took me a weekend to swap springs with the motor in the car. With the heads on a bench it was less than 2 hours. It's a huge difference in accessability.

Plus it's a lot easier on the back lol. It took me 4 nights working an hour and half or so a night.

Sent from iPhone

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Plus it's a lot easier on the back lol. It took me 4 nights working an hour and half or so a night.

Sent from iPhone

That's why it took me a weekend to do it. I could do one cylinder and I had to rest my back. I'd say 45 minutes per cylinder (3 springs) was the average time for me. Those little keepers can really test you at times.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
That's why it took me a weekend to do it. I could do one cylinder and I had to rest my back. I'd say 45 minutes per cylinder (3 springs) was the average time for me. Those little keepers can really test you at times.

That's no lie brother. I almost threw in the towel a couple of times. I think the right side took me like three nights by itself. I did the left side (I thought it would be the worst) in one night somehow.

Sent from iPhone

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
What springs and cams would be good with a Jdm built engine bored over .30 and a 2.8 Saleen supercharger pulley?

I want a factory idle. Not a race application all out I want DD capabilities.

Also what rpms would I be good to with JDMS engine and stiffer springs? Would my engine be solid enough to hand 550-600 rwhp?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What springs and cams would be good with a Jdm built engine bored over .30 and a 2.8 Saleen supercharger pulley?

I want a factory idle. Not a race application all out I want DD capabilities.

Also what rpms would I be good to with JDMS engine and stiffer springs? Would my engine be solid enough to hand 550-600 rwhp?

Have you asked JDM? 127300 come to mind as being able to provide more power across the board and a stock like idle. 350 cams will provide a nice idle too but everyone I know who has had them has changed them out because of power expectations not being met. If it was me I'd go with 127450 but I haven't used them before so it's a guess.

For springs the 26113 will handle up to 127450 and allow limiters to be used. I'm using them with a 127500 equivalent and not having issues. If you go with anything bigger cam wise you will need 26125 or TFS springs. Lockouts would be a good idea with the heavier springs.

Driveability will depend on your tuner.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
If I am driving in first gear and accelerate a bit and then let off the gas the rpms will drop like normal and car will slow down. However today out of nowhere I now here this low pitched whine sound and I can feel it right below the driver floor board where my feet are.

It feels like someone has a sander or vibrator under the floor board.

What could this be?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If I am driving in first gear and accelerate a bit and then let off the gas the rpms will drop like normal and car will slow down. However today out of nowhere I now here this low pitched whine sound and I can feel it right below the driver floor board where my feet are.

It feels like someone has a sander or vibrator under the floor board.

What could this be?

It could be a lot of things. The easiest would be a loose heat shield.

Back