why does everyone want to spin the coyote up to 8000 plus?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The critical determining factors are the shape of the torque curve and the transmission gear ratios.
Matching the engine and transmission to work together for what you want to do. Within a budget and still be useable for some general driving. Exactly why I installed a close ratio T56 mag. Gear change charts are available on the Tremec site and several venders.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
all of dino's talk about torque hurts my head worse than his opinions on the orange menace

Greg D

Reaction score
Agreed with Dino. A driving coach told me to lower my shift points to take advantage of the torque bands. Simply put, acceleration benefited when I "centered" the shifting around the peak torque. Upshifts were above than the peak torque so the next higher gear came in just a bit below the peak torque. You can feel the difference on a 3v motor or Coyote in the seat of your pants. Miata drivers not so much.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Every road race Coyote user I know that likes to "let it rev" goes through engines like mad. The chains, tensioners, and oil pumps like to kamikaze with almost any use up in that range. Keep revs under 7000 and keep it full of oil and it will last forever...

Last edited:

Greg D

Reaction score
I've set my redline for 6800 even though Ford Motorsport states 7100 on the Coyote Aluminator. Actual shift points are between 6500-6800 on my AiMdash.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Every road race Coyote user I know that likes to "let it rev" goes through engines like shit mad. The chains, tensioners, and oil pumps like to kamikaze with almost any use up in that range. Keep revs under 7000 and keep it full of oil and it will last forever...

Did any of them use an aftermarket road/race oil pan on their Coyote? The stock oil pan doesn't provide adequate oil control when the car is subjected to the high lateral g forces of hard cornering. When you add higher engine rpm to the mix, oil starvation due to oil pump cavitation and spun rod bearings become a greater threat. Close monitoring of the oil pressure could save you from that disaster, and that requires an aftermarket guage that reads proper oil pressure instead of the OEM dummy unit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I set my revlimit to 7200, and have "used" it.
My buddy's shop does a lot of drag coyote cars. Every one he has seen fail was from broken oil pump gears that were revved past 7500.
Nothing wrong with the stock oil pan in HPDE use IMO, I'm having zero issues with an engine that has over 100K on it.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed with Dino. A driving coach told me to lower my shift points to take advantage of the torque bands. Simply put, acceleration benefited when I "centered" the shifting around the peak torque. Upshifts were above than the peak torque so the next higher gear came in just a bit below the peak torque. You can feel the difference on a 3v motor or Coyote in the seat of your pants. Miata drivers not so much.

Where is this driving coach?

Torque bands?! wtf

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna lob a grenade in here and I'll keep the pin as a souvenir. Mostly because I'm curious to the opinions supporting the opinionated. Here goes....

Which is more important? Torque? Or horsepower?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm gonna lob a grenade in here and I'll keep the pin as a souvenir. Mostly because I'm curious to the opinions supporting the opinionated. Here goes....

Depends on if you want to win the race or just want to brag!
Torque wins the race.
But look my car made xxxx HP!!!
Guess HP wins at bench racing. lolol

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you give someone a graph that has torque on it without rpm (only 1000 rpm demarcations, hash marks, no numbers) and ask them to calculate how fast the a vehicle with this engine can accelerate, they will be unable

the same graph with horsepower, no problem.

The fact that most people don't understand what HP is is immaterial to our enjoyment of vehicles, this website, or Donald Trump's presidency.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

They're both important but for different reasons.
Acceleration requires torque, and the axle gears plus the transmission gears multiply the torque produced by the engine to the wheels.
Horsepower is a function of engine torque and rpm (torque X rpm/5252 to be precise), and is an important factor in determining a vehicle's top speed.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If u say increase the TQ at 2500 rpm by 50%, you will also have increased the HP at 2500 rpm...by 50%. Increase the tq by XXX %, you just increased the hp by the same XXX %...for a given rpm.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I see this question posed it's often fun to see how vehemently people argue their beliefs.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
When I see this question posed it's often fun to see how vehemently people argue their beliefs.
Saying you have lotsa tq at 500-2000 rpm is the same as saying you have lotsa hp at 500-2000 rpm.

If I know the hp curve, I can easily derive the tq curve..and vice versa, done all the time.

If eng A has 250 ft lbs of tq at 2000 rpm...and eng B has 500 ft lbs of tq at 2000 rpm, then eng B has double the HP at 2000 rpm, it's that simple.

Tq is just a rotational or twisting force.

Flip side is.... if a F1 car makes 800 hp at 20,000 rpm, it does not have much tq at 20k rpm. However, the 20 k rpm would require a massive gear reduction to be useful...... and gears multiply tq..so it comes out a wash. Interesting to note that the distance the piston travels up + down in one minute is virtually identical between a F1 car and nascar.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score

There are ancient textbooks on mechanics and thermodynamics that outline the facts. I believe egyptians had this handled before they let women drive.

Oh well. "torque wins races"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back