Will there will be a run on S197 cars shortly?

Julian Moseley

Reaction score
Within the next year or two. The 2005-2014 cars were in rare company. The Camaros and Dodges of the same era were more complex, much heavier -dodge cars only slightly less so as they are essentially identical today - the interiors have taken a similar quantum leap as the Mustang's.

Since the electric rumor for 2028 came down the pipe I bet a lot more people are getting a lot more excited to lock in their "last ride." It seems like Mustangs are a dime a dozen, but the supply will get very dear very quickly. You can't get a fox body where I'm from any more for less than 5 figures that isn't full of holes. The S197 is almost the same car, just has chassis engineering from this century.

In the past, people would let cars that weren't that old just slip by, be destroyed or lost (SN95's!) I think since they are the last of the breed the S197 cars will be a lot more coveted.

Julian Moseley

Reaction score
Hi, I live in England and have 2 Mustangs here. Since 1978 I have owned a '69 GT Convertible and in 2014 bought a 2010 V6 Convertible while in LA which we drove across to our home in Florida. The Florida house is now sold and we shipped the 2010 back here to London. It's a beauty in black with its new canvas roof. And frankly the 4 litre V6 is quite powerful enough. I chose the 2010 because I think it is the best looking of the S197s. The front is simple and not adorned with the plastic "moustache" of 2011 onwards models and the up-kick of the rear wing is a great styling trick reminding me if my '69. So I'm glad to read on here that the 2005 - 2010 models are considered the best being true reflections of the original cars. I'm not thinking of selling yet, but here in Europe interesting recent cars fall into a category called Youngtimers - along with ten year old Mercedes and BMWs. Any thoughts and advice welcomed.

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
It's actually a damn good, durable engine and arguably one of the best sounding V8s on the planet. The two-piece plugs on the earlier (to 11/2007) engines were the only real Achilles heel, and most of those have already been replaced. The stock powdered metal I-beam rods are strong and light enough for a 7500rpm HCI N/A engine, but they were never intended to cope with the elevated cylinder pressures of FI. In a boosted engine, 450rwtq and 6500rpm seem to be the limit but the rods can bend/break at lower power levels if there's detonation. Nothing that a set of forged rods/pistons plus billet oil pump gears couldn't fix.
The only reason why the 3V doesn't get the love it deserves is because it's been overshadowed by the Coyote. In that case, a Coyote-swapped '05-'09 S197 could be the hot ticket.

I kinda have to agree w/ tjm... in stock form the 4.6 is a little meh. All you need is a custom tune to wake it up though. I never understood why Ford gave it such a sluggish throttle response from the factory.

I don't know if the S197's are ever going to be in as high esteem as a 60's mustangs (too many of them, they're purposely retro) but relatively speaking I think the 4.6 cars are going to be more like the '64 1/2 - 66 mustangs vs the 5.0's being more like the 67-69. The early ones are still desirable but more people want the later ones thanks to the bigger engine options, more aggressive styling, etc.

As far as dated styling goes...I don't know how much of it is the styling looking dated vs the cars just starting to look old now (Plastic's fading, paint's dulling,etc). The wheels and ride height are a big part of it I think, standard 16/17" rims with fat tires vs what you see now is the same sort of thing you had with the standard 14/15" wheels were on 90's cars when the '05 was new. It wouldn't take too much to clean a car up, drop it an inch or two, and put some new wheels on it and it'd be a lot more contemporary.

I mean look at this (looks like some old used car)

06mustangv6.jpg

Vs this (could be brand new)
mustang_gt_california_special_by_star_fire_d3avlow-pre.jpg

Dated isn't necessarily a bad thing though, it's just waiting for its time. Like people were saying with the fox bodies, it all comes back around. You're seeing the same thing happen with 90's cars since 90's kids have a lot of buying power now and design has moved on so much from that era that it's like a time capsule. Once the 00's kids get into their 30's you could start seeing these getting valuable.

On the electric car subject... I don't think its going to be that bad. I've driven a buddy's Model 3 (dual motor but not the performance one) and the torque is addicting. Isn't that why most of us love the V8? (yeah besides the sound and the rumble)

Rich

Reaction score
I never understood why Ford gave it such a sluggish throttle response from the factory.
Blame the masses for that. They build them for the masses and the masses want it to be smooth with no noticeable shifting harshness or noise. I wish they built them for the enthusiasts, but the masses will always outnumber us 10,000 to 1.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Blame the masses for that. They build them for the masses and the masses want it to be smooth with no noticeable shifting harshness or noise. I wish they built them for the enthusiasts, but the masses will always outnumber us 10,000 to 1.

Build them for both. Make it user definable.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Fossil fuels won't be close to extinction 15 years from now. Sure, demand for them will diminish but it won't stop altogether. Oil producers will continue to regulate petroleum prices as they've always done by balancing supply with demand.
Mechanical parts for '05-'09 Mustangs will continue to be supplied by the aftermarket for the foreseeable future just as they are currently for all generations of Mustangs. They'll probably be more modern upgrades over the original parts (i.e. restomod) and if the IC engine is still around by then, it'll be a more powerful cleaner burning version. Note that even right now, the cheapest brand new Modular based crate engine you can buy is a Gen 3 Coyote. In 15 years' time the game will have moved on even further. Perhaps by then, that "crate engine" could instead be a powerful electric motor with battery pack.
Well only time will tell! Once demand for electric powered cars become more the norm and more affordable towards the masses, you'll be seeing less and less IC cars on the roads/highways. When that happens, there won't be anything left for the oil companies to regulate as demand for petroleum gratefully diminishes and eventually you'll start seeing more charging stations replace gasoline stations until they're finally phased out altogether. As for mechanical parts for '05-'09 Mustangs being supplied by the aftermarket for the foreseeable future is concerned? Compared to when the S197 first debuted 16 years ago, demand has since then decreased as the 4.6L 3v has become less popular and considered as outdated technology when compared to the advanced technology of the current Coyote 5.0 DOHC platform. In fact, the only PD supercharger manufacturers that continue to produce blowers for the '05-'10 era cars are from Whipple, Edelbrock and Kenne Bell. But yet Roush, VMP, Magnuson and Ford Racing all continue to produce TVS 2300 blowers for the S197 '11-'14 Coyote 5.0 models and current '15-21' S550 models with gen 3 Coyote DOHC 5.0. Unless your preference is a centrifugal type of blower, such as Paxton, Vortech and Procharger? PD types as just mentioned are limited from only 3 different sources. As mentioned in a previous post, if congress ends up passing Biden's clean and renewable energy policies, it will only be a matter of time before the handwriting is on the wall. Also note, the current clean air act policy of 2009 wants all greenhouse gasses cut in half by 2032 as it stands right now :shrug:

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
My 06 doesn't get that much use anymore and I want to get rid of it. Than I drive it a couple days and change my mind so I won't be contributing to any so called run on S197's. It's got 285k miles so it ain't worth much anyway, but it still pulls like the first day I bought it back in 2008. Love my 3V, my tr3650's not so much lol.

Rich

Reaction score
My 06 doesn't get that much use anymore and I want to get rid of it. Than I drive it a couple days and change my mind so I won't be contributing to any so called run on S197's. It's got 285k miles so it ain't worth much anyway, but it still pulls like the first day I bought it back in 2008. Love my 3V, my tr3650's not so much lol.
285k and no major issues? That's a nice run!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
My 06 doesn't get that much use anymore and I want to get rid of it. Then I drive it a couple days and change my mind so I won't be contributing to any so called run on S197's. It's got 285k miles so it ain't worth much anyway, but it still pulls like the first day I bought it back in 2008. Love my 3V, my tr3650's not so much lol.

I only do 3000 miles/year in mine these days (93k miles total) but I'd never sell it 'cause every minute behind the wheel is pure pleasure. The intoxicating roar of the 4.6 in the top half of the rev range will never get old.
Pissed off with life? Just do a pull up to 6500rpm and you'll instantly feel much better.
A bright red coupe with black racing stripes will always turn heads in a sea of boring looking cars, and that's enough reason alone for me to keep mine to the grave. Market value? Who cares?

Julian Moseley

Reaction score
Because they are identical, the body styling was changed in 2010 from 2009 until 2012 and then just a slight facelift for 2013-14.
The 2011 was not quite the same as the 2010. The rear lights changed, rather like the '69 - '70 models. And the bonnet sprouted the start of the moustache look which I never liked.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
AFAIK, 10-11-12 are all identical body style. I see no difference between my 2010..and my buddy's 2011. Rear lights are identical, hoods on the 10-12 cars are the 'power dome hood'. Front end is identical. 2010 has the 4.6 eng, and older tranny, that's it. Interior is identical too.

Julian Moseley

Reaction score
Perhaps your friend's car is actually a 2010? Check the build date. You can get get it from the VIN or a Marti Report.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
So the choice for me at least for now is a 15,000 mile 3460 lbs 420hp Base GT with some Boss upgrades and no payments or a 4000lbs 460HP GT that kinda looks like a Honda at $600 a month. I do have the CAT Scale weight bill from Flying J.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back