WOTBOX + 5 speed users....

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I got a question for all of you with the wotbox and widebands. What does your wideband read when you use the two-step or no-lift shift? Mine reads full lean but I thought it would read really rich since it's dumping fuel?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It's lean because the pistons are still pumping air without spark.
Widebands measure combustion gasses I believe, so you can't just spray it with raw fuel and have it read rich.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
It's lean because the pistons are still pumping air without spark.
Widebands measure combustion gasses I believe, so you can't just spray it with raw fuel and have it read rich.

Sweet. Makes sense. Thanks!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I got a question for all of you with the wotbox and widebands. What does your wideband read when you use the two-step or no-lift shift? Mine reads full lean but I thought it would read really rich since it's dumping fuel?
Just from a fair idea how O2 sensors work.

Without spark and combustion, virtually all of the oxygen going into the cylinder comes out the exhaust, and the definition of lean is that there is an excess of oxygen. The sensor has no way of knowing that combustion was intentionally prevented, only that the oxygen concentration in the exhaust stream is as high as it could possibly get. IOW "full lean".

Norm

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Just from a fair idea how O2 sensors work.

Without spark and combustion, virtually all of the oxygen going into the cylinder comes out the exhaust, and the definition of lean is that there is an excess of oxygen. The sensor has no way of knowing that combustion was intentionally prevented, only that the oxygen concentration in the exhaust stream is as high as it could possibly get. IOW "full lean".

Norm

Thank you!

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Willy- You took your WOTbox out b/c of the backfiring ??? My car does the same thing and was just wondering if its possible its hurting anything???

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Willy- You took your WOTbox out b/c of the backfiring ??? My car does the same thing and was just wondering if its possible its hurting anything???

It can mess up O2 sensors in your pipes. The high peak in pressure can also blow out mufflers and stuff down the pipe.

In general, it's pretty harmless but it depends how much it's backfiring. If your car is just popping once every time, then you should be okay. If you get backfire that goes off in sequence, like multiple explosions in succession, then you may want to check your tune and when the injectors cut off. In very rare instances, the pressure can damage the internals of the motor--but usually when your exhaust is too restrictive (in which case you should start seeing muffler damage as well).

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
K cut off the mufflers they were already trashed from being mid mounted and slammed...So I guess all I have to worry about is O2 sensors....and its only popping once on shifts sounds rather sweet, especially having the exhaust dumped under passenger seat.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
K cut off the mufflers they were already trashed from being mid mounted and slammed...So I guess all I have to worry about is O2 sensors....and its only popping once on shifts sounds rather sweet, especially having the exhaust dumped under passenger seat.

Your pipes should be fine then, I imagine it's super free flowing with the dump. A good way to tell is what they call a lean pop. Does your exhaust make popping noises on decel? A lean pop is what happens when you cut off the throttle but leave it in gear, it causes the engine to keep cycling in vacuum and cold air from outside the tailpipes will rush back into the exhaust (because the throttle body is closed). This is what makes those pops when you engine brake. Anyway--that's usually a sign you have a very open exhaust (though if your exhaust is short enough, it may not do this at all).

The only other thing I'd be concerned about is your turbo. I've never heard of backfire damaging a turbo since the explosion is usually after the turbo and the pressure takes the path of least resistance out the tailpipe. I personally think you should be fine. Did it backfire when you didn't use the wotbox?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Yes it does pop on decel...Doesn't ever backfire unless im using the wot feature or on the 2step the 2 step sounds crazy as shit too!

Haha okay. So what happens on the pop is that your exhaust pipes are so hot that the fuel ignites in the exhaust. I know it's hot in Texas but say you had your car in colder weather, it wouldn't pop unless the pipes were hot enough. With your turbo spooling, you got all the heat you need. How long is the manifold to your turbo? I imagine it's fairly short so that shouldn't be an issue (you want to avoid having the fuel ignite pre-turbo, because then you get the flames going through the turbo). Even at that point, I don't think it matters since the turbo can withstand real good heat.

The popping on decel is a good thing, means your exhaust is nice and open. I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly. If you got a performance shop near you that you trust, you could ask them what they think but in my experience, it'd never been a problem on N/A or turbo vehicles.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Im not gonna sweat it was more curious than anything...Thanks man

No prob. It's pretty straight forward. Atomized fuel + hot metals = boom. I got a random question, does E85 smell different coming out the exhaust than regular unleaded?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

i didnt take it out, just turned off the "no lift" feature.......i still use it as a 2 step at the staging line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back