2011 5.0 - Power loss, gas smell in cabin, and many other problems

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're sure it doesn't have a bluish tint? Because that would indicate oil burning. And it may not do it at idle but under a heavy hit of throttle and load. Like passing a car or launching.

JGas

Reaction score
normal amount of smoke at idle, cruising speed, WOT, etc. I obviously don't know anything about these cars but strange that it went away like that

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
No coolant loss was found I checked for that this past weekend

That's good news and rules out a blown head gasket, but you still need to check if the engine's burning oil. I suggest you pull out the spark plugs and inspect them.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I had an issue with a leaky injector producing white smoke. I should rephrase that, it was stuck open...

JGas

Reaction score
pair of stock cats are going on after the holidays as well as getting the plugs checked and the other various things you guys have suggested getting checked, I appreciate all the help from everyone, will update after the holidays. Merry Christmas to you all

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It doesn't work. Its already been tried by several including myself. Temps are the same before and after mod. My coyote is full of MMR stuff that i built.

The coolant temp. isn't likely to change with this mod so I don't think that's the correct way to judge its performance. You'd need to install temperature probes on the back of both cylinder heads, and compare the temps with and without the MMR cooling mod to see if it truly makes any difference.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You do know thats how they tested the mod on termi's, yea? The coolant temp is the reason number 8 is prone to detonate. Number 8 is the last cylinder to get coolant. You can use a thermal gun and the temp be different from side to side and cylinder to cylinder. I do this daily on diesels but what do i know.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If the MMR cooling mod doesn't remedy the problem, is there any fix at all other than enriching the air-fuel mixture and pulling timing advance on the no.8 cylinder?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the water jackets around the exhaust valves had to be made smaller on the Coyote heads because each cylinder has two exhaust valves. The 3V heads don't have this problem because with just the single exhaust valve, there's more space for a bigger water jacket to keep things cool.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Every generation of the coyote has gotten better. Thats why you dont hear about it on the gen 2's or 3's.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The Gen 2 used the Roadrunner heads from the Boss 302 so I wonder if they'd been mildly redesigned to improve coolant flow around the exhaust valves.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 used the Roadrunner heads from the Boss 302 so I wonder if they'd been mildly redesigned to improve coolant flow around the exhaust valves.

They aren't the Roadrunner BOSS heads. The BOSS heads were CNC'd regular heads. The Gen 2 heads were new castings that mimicked the CNC'd head for similar flow at production costing. They probably also addressed coolant flow since they are a new casting.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back