2011 5.0 - Power loss, gas smell in cabin, and many other problems

JGas

Reaction score
I have owned my 2011 Mustang for about 2 years and have had numerous problems with it, a few months after i got it i noticed a power loss that was significant and got the compression checked and was told that compression is lost once it gets to operating temp and was never able to find a fix, engine blew up 6 months later and now my second engine is having the same exact issue, along with a very very strong raw gas smell in the cabin when sitting still. car is completely stock besides tune and gutted cats done by previous owner, thanks for all help in advance.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Was the tune on it before the first motor blew up? What injectors do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You might want to remove the rear seat bottom and see if there's any fuel leak around the gauge sending unit/fuel pump assembly.
I'd also suggest having cats installed and getting the ECU reflashed to stock before you lose the second engine.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whose tune is it? Lets start there. Also checking under the rear seat for the gas leak would be a good place to start.

JGas

Reaction score
Was the tune on it before the first motor blew up? What injectors do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock injectors, tune was on car for about a year before the engine went.

Last edited:

JGas

Reaction score
Whose tune is it? Lets start there. Also checking under the rear seat for the gas leak would be a good place to start.

Was done by previous owner but as far as I know it's just a baseline 87 octane tune from Bama

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A cel will come on with gutted cats and stock tune. google bama number 8 issues.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some same bama (bam-ah). Some say bama (bom-ah). I say junka (junk-ah).

JGas

Reaction score
A cel will come on with gutted cats and stock tune. google bama number 8 issues.

a CEL is better than letting this bama tune continue to damage correct? I found a thread about the bama cylinder 8 issues and a guy was saying that he also had power loss similar to the way I am as well as experiencing a heavy amount of white smoke when at idle (which I forgot to mention in the original post)

Some same bama (bam-ah). Some say bama (bom-ah). I say junka (junk-ah).

yeah... starting to see why I got the deal I got on the car, previous owner must've knew what was coming and decided to put it in someone else's lap

Last edited by a moderator:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have power loss and white smoke?m Are you losing coolant as well? I forget what exactly happens when #8 fails.

JGas

Reaction score
just reflashed to stock. going to be putting some stock cats on this weekend and hoping atleast some of my issues are resolved

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You have power loss and white smoke?m Are you losing coolant as well? I forget what exactly happens when #8 fails.

White smoke is usually coolant and that would suggest a blown head gasket.
@JGas, are you getting any coolant loss?
The no.8 cylinder on the Gen 1 Coyote suffers from poor coolant flow in the cylinder head so if that cylinder detonates, the exhaust valves get too hot and cause premature guide wear. It often presents with increased oil consumption and a misfire from an oil contaminated spark plug. The engine may also produce a ticking sound due to the exhaust valve stems rattling in the guides. If it isn't fixed, a valve may break and cause catastrophic engine damage.

JGas

Reaction score
If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust, you have more problems than just the tune.

well I guess applying the stock tune making it stop is a coincidence

White smoke is usually coolant and that would suggest a blown head gasket.
@JGas, are you getting any coolant loss?
The engine may also produce a ticking sound due to the exhaust valve stems rattling in the guides. If it isn't fixed, a valve may break and cause catastrophic engine damage.

No coolant loss was found I checked for that this past weekend and as far as a ticking noise would go one is starting to develop in the front passenger side but is only noticable when between 2500-3000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man you better get this car checked over before you have another engine failure.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
well I guess applying the stock tune making it stop is a coincidence
I'd certainly say so as well. Someone is going to have to explain that to us both. White smoke implies a mechanical issue with water being in the wrong place. A tune isn't going to fix that. It might cause it, but once damage is done, I don't see how its going to fix it.

Are you sure the smoke is white? Like really white?

Edited: fixed typo

JGas

Reaction score
Man you better get this car checked over before you have another engine failure.

am going to after the holidays. reflashing to stock did resolve my loss of power from what my butt Dyno says, as well as the smoke at idle

Are you sure the smoke is white? Like really white?

Edited: fixed typo

vape cloud white.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back