Clutch problems

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking McLeod had a bad run of floating plates!!!

Or the guy assembling them is cracked out and not checking specs/tolerances properly.

I will continue to use mcleod products in the future and hope they have a handle on this now.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just sent JPC Racing and McLeod a letter requesting that they either replace my RST/Al. FW with one that they check out before they send it or I want a complete refund. My RST after 1000 break in miles with a McLeod FW is still not working correctly. It will hang in 1st or 2nd once it gets warm. PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been fighting on and off with this since June. Even had the McLeod tech walk my Ford Tech through the install and check everything. Still not right. I hope they stand up and treat me right I have been very patient with them. Kind of tired of wrestling my car out of gear.

I've had the tranny out 3 times, done all the Ram measurements which showed us that a spacer was not needed. I have the spacer but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay to have the tranny out again put the spacer in and have the same stupid problem.

I've got almost $1800 in parts/labor and the car still won't shift. At this point I would be happy to have my chatty, noisy Spec clutch back. At leas the car would shift!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to talk with Lee and Red at McLeod.
The last time you installed the clutch, did you send it to McLeod so they could look it over?

My old RST had only one disk engaging. The disk facing the flywheel never contacted the flywheel nor the floating plate. My clutch had tolerance issues, the plate that bolts onto the flywheel was machined too thick.

My new RXT is awesome!!! So far only 470 miles, but working really well.
I had to swap my Fidanza flywheel for a McLeod, although at least my whole unit left McLeod all spec-ed out.

If you are really done with McLeod, I would suggest you go with ACT... ROUSH is putting them in their cars!! Really great reviews!!

Keep us updated on your McLeod issue...

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lee had my Ford Tech check all of the tolerances between the floater and disc. It was supposedly okay, but like I said it still isn't working correctly. I will consider another McLeod as long as they make this right. It sounds like they know they had some issues and that they are willing to make it right. I'll call on tuesday. Thanks.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got a great call from Justin at JPC racing. McLeod is sending out a new clutch for my car! Very good news! Very much appreciated that both JPC and McLeod stepped up to get things going in the right direction.
I'll post an update once it is installed.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Justin is the man he helped me out and worked with Lee at mcleod on my issue as well.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to say Justin at JPC and Lee at McLeod have really stepped up. New clutch (kevlar) and a new flywheel on its way. Nice to know that there are companies around that stand behind their products.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
i will always use jpc when buying new. they treated me very well when i bought heads and some other stuff from him. best customer service i've had

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I roughly have 760 miles on my new RXT with new McLeod flywheel. The setup was smooth at engagement and great overall, but as the unit is broken in, its no longer smooth. I've had a few instances where the whole clutch chatters and shakes the car violently... Of course, this happened when I was in an incline. But I never experienced that with the stock or the RST.

Its a great clutch for all out performance driving, but just cruising and trying to be smooth, its not all that great...at least mine isn't.

But at least I can shift smoothly though... lol

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
seems that this is the 6060 clutch thread, but more so for the mcleod options. i'm wondering about using my spec 3+ w/ aluminum flywheel and just getting it resplined for the 6060 i just picked up. another option would be to see about using the super king cobra clutch that's coming w/ the deal.

thoughts on which would be a better option. don't want to drop a grand or more on a clutch set up if i can help it.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Trans mount, shifter, 26 spline clutch disk, driveshaft. cost me 45.00 to shorten my Alum 1piece

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I roughly have 760 miles on my new RXT with new McLeod flywheel. The setup was smooth at engagement and great overall, but as the unit is broken in, its no longer smooth. I've had a few instances where the whole clutch chatters and shakes the car violently... Of course, this happened when I was in an incline. But I never experienced that with the stock or the RST.

Its a great clutch for all out performance driving, but just cruising and trying to be smooth, its not all that great...at least mine isn't.

But at least I can shift smoothly though... lol

Thats part of having the ceramic/metallic clutch discs vs organic, my act clutch does it too. The discs are more grabby when taking off from a dead stop and will chatter/shake a little.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats part of having the ceramic/metallic clutch discs vs organic, my act clutch does it too. The discs are more grabby when taking off from a dead stop and will chatter/shake a little.

...and will weld themselves to steel flywheels :rant:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup if they get too hot, thats why I prefer organic discs.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought the RXT was kevlar...?

Nope, segmented metallic bronze.

http://mcleodracing.com/info/?id=5227

IMG_57292.JPG

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A little update on my situation. New clutch arrived but it was setup on the wrong FW. McLeod shipped it with an 8 bolt FW not a 6 bolt? Not sure how that happens when they have a copy of their own original paperwork. Waiting now on the correct clutch FW to arrive. Justin from JPC has been solid! McLeod? Jury is still out. So far I have about $2900 in this clutch (labor and parts) and car is still not running. Clutch is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the Tech is out until Monday so car won't be done until next week.

I may have an 8 bolt almuminum FW with a RST 10 spline /Kevlar discs clutch for sale that is brand new and personally setup by Lee from McLeod. I'll post in the for sale area soon when I get it worked out. At this point a Spec 3+ would have been waaaay cheaper with much less headaches.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back