Indications of a failed anti-drainback valve

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter on my 40k mile 05 GT about 1500 miles ago. Since then, it has developed a light cold start tick that lasts 30-45 seconds. Could this be a filter issue? Filter is an FL820. Car has always run 5w20 Motorcraft semi syn, but this change is now 5w20 Mobil 1. Can't imagine that's an issue, is it? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my stinkin' iPhone using Tapatalk

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter on my 40k mile 05 GT about 1500 miles ago. Since then, it has developed a light cold start tick that lasts 30-45 seconds. Could this be a filter issue? Filter is an FL820. Car has always run 5w20 Motorcraft semi syn, but this change is now 5w20 Mobil 1. Can't imagine that's an issue, is it? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my stinkin' iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Are you running a FRam filter? If so, go back with a Motorcraft filter.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be an oiling problem at all. You could have developed an exhaust leak, and as your car warms up, the metal expands and it goes away.

You're going to have to isolate where the ticking is coming from systematically. Get yourself an engine stethoscope, or make your own out of a piece of rubber tube and a metal rod. Myself, I took a flexible rubber hose and zip-tied a welding rod to the bottom 12" for some rigidity.

You could also have a weak lifter.

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
I took my engine stethescope and probed the cam covers. No area seems to be signifcantly louder than any other. Guess I'll check the exhaust system next. I'll start by checking all the pipe connections. This car is still bone stock, so is a leaking manifold gasket likely? Thanks for the tips...much appreciated.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't necessarily have to be a gasket problem. I developed a crack in my exhaust manifold at the 15,000 mark. The bright side is that I installed some Ford Racing Shorty Headers as a replacement.:clap:

Have you done any exhaust modifications?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Let her cool down, have someone start it for you while having the hood up and stethoscope ready and track it down. If you end up needing a stock manifold, I've got one I can give you for free as long as you pickup shipping.

Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back