Mickey Thompson's (New-Street-Comp) UHP tire tested Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
David,

^^^

I think it's important and adds to this Internet Site when we add pictures to the text.

When a person can look at the pictures they can then at least get an idea of what products look like installed.

Text is for the most parts nothing but words on a post.

Pictures tie the words all together with meaning !!!

Terry

Last edited:

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
agreed

in my thread asking about tires I has on the fence till people posted up pics of the 305's on a car then I knew it was on.
these tires ride soooo much better, the taller sidewall might let it have a little more corner flex but I can live with that for the improved ride quality.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
agreed

in my thread asking about tires I has on the fence till people posted up pics of the 305's on a car then I knew it was on.
these tires ride soooo much better, the taller sidewall might let it have a little more corner flex but I can live with that for the improved ride quality.
David,

Now Buddy I'm waiting to see those tires with the "Lettering" in Bright-Yellow !!!

They will really be the Shit sure enough if you can do that. :thumb2:

Terry

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
I hope these are better than the RS Coopers. Mine on my Roush became hard and slick way too quickly. They still grip a bit if I get them really hot. For the price, I will give the M/T's a chance though.

Pauly

Way too loud
Reaction score
I am thinking about going with 285/35/19 Mickey's on SVE drifts. For the price of the tire, I think it will be hard to beat.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope these are better than the RS Coopers. Mine on my Roush became hard and slick way too quickly. They still grip a bit if I get them really hot. For the price, I will give the M/T's a chance though.
Richard,

Just be aware the Street Comp tires are "Not" race tires period.

They do OK but for a Drag-Strip they are not the best choice.

I've never done the other road racing thing but I'm thinking the M/T Street Comps more than likely are not the better choice for that usage either.

I have ran them for some years now and have No-Complaints but I also kept in mine they were never intended for Racing purposes.

They run quiet, handle great in rain, excellent wear, and have normal-traction abilities.

Terry

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
Exactly what Terry said.

its the price that sold me, the comfort and quiet is a big plus but im gonna say through my playing around so far is my old 555's stuck better.

I don't know shit about cold weather ratings but the other day it was about 45 degrees here and it seemed like the tires lost grip before they got "warm".
I took off showing my ass alittle and bounced it off the rev limiter before I knew it cause of tire spin, then i pedaled it about 3 times before they grabbed and hooked when i hit second the car jumped sideways but hooked then.

i need to get the wife to photoshop the yellow letters on them correctly to make sure what it'll look like and if i like it im gonna order them through that tredwear site.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
a 305/35/19 in the street comp would be a hot seller I'd imagine, Nitto offers the NT05 (non drag radial) in a 305/35/19 but it's $360 because it has no competition in that size, MT needs to take advantage

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly what Terry said.

its the price that sold me, the comfort and quiet is a big plus but im gonna say through my playing around so far is my old 555's stuck better.

I don't know shit about cold weather ratings but the other day it was about 45 degrees here and it seemed like the tires lost grip before they got "warm".
I took off showing my ass alittle and bounced it off the rev limiter before I knew it cause of tire spin, then i pedaled it about 3 times before they grabbed and hooked when i hit second the car jumped sideways but hooked then.

i need to get the wife to photoshop the yellow letters on them correctly to make sure what it'll look like and if i like it im gonna order them through that tredwear site.

Yeah for that price I'll give them a shot also. One reason I'm not running a tire over 275 out back is because anything over 275 jumps in price by like $200 it seems like. Love how yours came out and I'm thinking that's about how my car will sit on the same set up so I'll be for sure giving them a go. :beerdrink:

As far as them not sticking it looks like they are using a lot harder rubber than your old 555s. They should last longer but for sure aren't going to bite without being warmed up. Even more so in the colder weather.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Ummmm . . . no.

That this new tire isn't available in wider than 275 in 18" or 285 in 19" tells me that MT is catering strictly to the appearance-oriented crowd.

Norm

Come on dog you needz dubz

ds_img_direct.php

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
Ummmm . . . no.

That this new tire isn't available in wider than 275 in 18" or 285 in 19" tells me that MT is catering strictly to the appearance-oriented crowd.

Norm

05stroker's sig
9.97 1/4 6.38 1/8 1.49 60 ft on 20's

:hi: just saying......lol

RichardSATX

Roush On!
Reaction score
Richard,

Just be aware the Street Comp tires are "Not" race tires period.

They do OK but for a Drag-Strip they are not the best choice.

I've never done the other road racing thing but I'm thinking the M/T Street Comps more than likely are not the better choice for that usage either.

I have ran them for some years now and have No-Complaints but I also kept in mine they were never intended for Racing purposes.

They run quiet, handle great in rain, excellent wear, and have normal-traction abilities.

Terry

Terry

Let me pick your brain a bit. My Roush only goes to car shows, the drag strip (I have drag radials on other wheels), and will be hitting Hilltop road course. I take it for a fair weather spin from time to time. It has never seen rain and won't. I would like to keep the factory Roush rims, 20 X 9.5. Given that I don't care about rain or tread wear, what would you suggest in the way of tires? You can PM so I don't hijack the MT thread.

Rich

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry

Let me pick your brain a bit. My Roush only goes to car shows, the drag strip (I have drag radials on other wheels), and will be hitting Hilltop road course. I take it for a fair weather spin from time to time. It has never seen rain and won't. I would like to keep the factory Roush rims, 20 X 9.5. Given that I don't care about rain or tread wear, what would you suggest in the way of tires? You can PM so I don't hijack the MT thread.

Rich
Rich,

Heck, we don't need to do PM's this is just a tire talking/discussing thread.

I did read your post a few times so I might answer what you wish to know.

Let me explain something.
Me being a much older fellow than probably the majority of people on here.
I wanted to run a name from back when I was driving the 60's & 70's Muscle Cars.
Mickey Thompson goes that far back in time so I took the time to check out their current product lines for Tires & Wheels.
I luv the M/T SC-5 wheels and decided what the heck might as well give their MT Street Comp tires a try also.
So I did both and they have and still are working just fine.
The wheels on my Highland Green (Dark Green to most people) Bullitt Mustang really look good.
I knew when I went with their wheels for the rear-end being 10.5" wide the 275/35-20" tires were to small for that wide of a wheel.
But I also knew there just was No-Way MT was not going to come out eventually with a wider rear tire in the 20".
So now I have the 305/35-20" for the rear-end and also the 275/35-20 for the front.

With all the above being said on my decision for wheels & tires.
Let me tell you what I think on tires for a Mustang that is not going to be Raced on a Drag-Strip [Frequently].
Or for that matter raced at Road Atlanta in that series.

The MT Street Comp tires look great.
They handle really well on the street.
You don't drive when it's raining but if you did happen to get caught in it the tires work very well.
Something else that I just thought of they balance out extremely well.
No SHAKING of the steering wheel at all !!!
They are quiet on a normal surface and I like that.
They are not some Super Expensive tire that can run a person $2,000.00 dollars for a set of four.
And in many-many cases those super High-Dollar tires have a Soft Tread Compound so the mileage for tread wear really "Sucks".
These have a tread wear rating of 300 so they do last awhile under normal driving conditions.
I also like the way the tread looks on them when they are dressed with the BLACK Satin tire dressing.

If I was not going to run the MT Street Comp tires I would go with the Continental DW (Dry/Wet) tires.
I also ran those for a great many years.
They have the same characteristics of the MT Street Comp tires.
(My opinion is the Continental DW are Stickier for Racing)

So Rich maybe I have answered and possibly been a little help in your next selection of tires. :hi:

BTW,
You can PM me any time if you wish to discuss things Off-Line.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Come on dog you needz dubz

ds_img_direct.php

Maybe in my next life :whistling: . . .

05stroker's sig
9.97 1/4 6.38 1/8 1.49 60 ft on 20's

:hi: just saying......lol
I'm not particularly surprised - the weight and rotating weight effects for wheels and tires are not as severe as people tend to think. But he's still handicapping himself a little.

Norm

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Norm

I agree with this. And I'll just throw out there that I've been running BFG Rivals all summer including a couple times on the track and I'm really impressed. Sure they are more expensive but why would you spend money on more power and more handling and then handicap the car with poor tires.

"its the price that sold me, the comfort and quiet is a big plus but im gonna say through my playing around so far is my old 555's stuck better"

If the MTs can't out perform 555's, they are not much of a tire.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
How do the MT's stack up against something like nitto Invo's ? One of the fellow's on the roush forum with 595 rwhp got fed up with his oem roush 275's coopers'..and switched to nitto invo's in a 315 wide rear tire..on new 11.5" wide rear forgestar rims.....problem solved. I believe he was going to swap the front 275's for a 285 or 295. ( these are all 20" rims for both oem roush and now forgestar).

Too bad nitto doesn't make a 555 in a 295/305/315 format.

Last edited:

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
I agree with this. And I'll just throw out there that I've been running BFG Rivals all summer including a couple times on the track and I'm really impressed. Sure they are more expensive but why would you spend money on more power and more handling and then handicap the car with poor tires.

"its the price that sold me, the comfort and quiet is a big plus but im gonna say through my playing around so far is my old 555's stuck better"

If the MTs can't out perform 555's, they are not much of a tire.

I drive my car maybe once a week so "the price point" was important to me. when I sold my wheels with the nitto 555's the guy buying them was saying the tires look brand new.

I've had 4 different sets of tires on the car in the 2 or so years since I've owned it and for the money spend these tires they are by far the best value for the sizes offered. if I had a lot of money to throw at tires and the car got drove more I would have went with a different brand.

also I don't know how these MT would act on a warm day, my 555's were on the car during the summer and its been cold when I got on it with these MT's. might make a difference...might not.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
How do the MT's stack up against something like nitto Invo's ? One of the fellow's on the roush forum with 595 rwhp got fed up with his oem roush 275's coopers'..and switched to nitto invo's in a 315 wide rear tire..on new 11.5" wide rear forgestar rims.....problem solved. I believe he was going to swap the front 275's for a 285 or 295. ( these are all 20" rims for both oem roush and now forgestar).

Too bad nitto doesn't make a 555 in a 295/305/315 format.
Too bad Nitto doesn't just start over with their street tire lineup. The NT555 is at least 10 years old that I know of, and even the NT05 is at least 6 years old (and still more of a "drifter's tire"). Maybe keep the NT555 tread pattern mostly intact so the new tire still looks familiar.

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back