The "Right" Cam

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
right?!? I'm lost right now. Hopefully Bullet can help me figure it out.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
IDK how you would do it without removing the front cover. I also don't understand how people are doing it correctly without manual cam chain tensioners either though.

The plastic tensioners have a fairly stiff spring that will keep the chain on.

OP, you can't do it without removing the front cover. What I don't get is can't the cam maker verify the correct icl prior to shipment? If they can't then how do they know anything else about the grind is correct? It's not like we degree the crank sensor reluctor. Can you imagine if it was 10 degrees off?

Good luck with it. It's not that hard once you do it. At least with the motor out of the car.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The plastic tensioners have a fairly stiff spring that will keep the chain on.
I guess I'm just too OCD about cam timing. I made a couple of manual cam chain tensioners so I coulkd set the tension right where I wanted it and they will remain equal as well as the same tension and not bleed down at all.

But, a lot of my cam timing comes with stuff that runs belts. And you have to set them up at a different belt tension cold so it acts like it is warm. So I'm pretty "invested" in tension.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I guess I'm just too OCD about cam timing. I made a couple of manual cam chain tensioners so I coulkd set the tension right where I wanted it and they will remain equal as well as the same tension and not bleed down at all.

But, a lot of my cam timing comes with stuff that runs belts. And you have to set them up at a different belt tension cold so it acts like it is warm. So I'm pretty "invested" in tension.

Chains and sprockets are fairly consistent in that manner. Have you ever used plastic tensioners? Even without oil they are fairly stiff. Stiff enough that I don't worry about pumping them up prior to a new motor start.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Chains and sprockets are fairly consistent in that manner. Have you ever used plastic tensioners? Even without oil they are fairly stiff. Stiff enough that I don't worry about pumping them up prior to a new motor start.

When I preload the faux tensioners I can see the cam timing change.

I've never used anything but the plastic tensioners.:thumb2:

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back