X pipe vs H pipe

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
I was inquiring at one of the vendors as to whether or not they could get American Racing Headers with an H pipe instead of an X.
they recommended I stay with an X pipe because they said it would scavenge the cylinders better and that the H pipe would be more restrictive and cause a rich condition. they added that the X pipe made more power and that the H pipe causes a big loss In torque. So, they said to stay with the X pipe , especially with FI. Their words , not mine. I don't want a raspy sounding exhaust though, as I have heard X pipes do.
Any comments from guys with experience with both configurations would be appreciated.
Oh and I will be running the high flow cat midpipe, not the off road.
The engine is a 5.0 Coyote by the way.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had a high flow cat setup with an x pipe. The same motor with the factory h pipe and factory cats dynoed exactly the same. Real world, no difference.

I'd guess that the vendor doesn't have an h pipe in stock.

Boss949

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the H Pipe and side pipes that came standard on the Boss. I decided to add a Torque Arm Kit and Cat Deletes. Unfortunately, the Torque Arm could not be installed without modifying the H pipe. We decided to replace it with FRPP X pipe and cat deletes. Also had the 2013 GT 500 Quad Exhausts.

Not raspy at all. Would not go back to H pipe.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be a very big difference in power but I may be wrong. I do know x pipes sound really raspy on the 99-04 2 and 4 valves but their midpipe is very different. They actually sound decent on the 05 ups. I do love my h pipe though.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
The x is definitely more raspy but usually produces a few more hp over 5k. I'd get the one that sounds the best to you unless you only care about racing. Then I'd get the x.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Probably under a 5hp loss, go with what sounds better to you.
I dig the X pipes myself, i like some rasp but I don't have too much since putting mid mufflers in.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The x is definitely more raspy but usually produces a few more hp over 5k. I'd get the one that sounds the best to you unless you only care about racing. Then I'd get the x.

Peak hp perhaps, but an H will give you more power at lower rpm. Everybody talks about peak hp over 5K rpm but how much time do you actually spend there?

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
Its a hard decision. As I think I mentioned earlier, I have a catted X pipe on the 3.7 behind the headers and it is raspy as hell. then again, its a V6 and I know it cannot be compared to the V8.

One thing though. If the X pipe was so much better than the H pipe, why did the factory put an H pipe on instead of an X on my 2011 5.0 V8. On my 2012 3.7 V6, the factory installed an X pipe. Interesting.

Last edited:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Get an H. If you're going off road pipes then the biggest benefit is removing the cat restriction. X pipes sound like doo doo. You won't notice any difference in power between the two. Other than headers, exhaust is all about sound preference.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
X pipes on the 5.0 cars sound sooooo much better than a H pipe......

What are you basing that comment on? I ask because there aren't a lot of H pipes available for the 5.0 to make a comparison.

Whether or not the the factory resonators have been removed will play a big part in the sound of either one.

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
What are you basing that comment on? I ask because there aren't a lot of H pipes available for the 5.0 to make a comparison.

Whether or not the the factory resonators have been removed will play a big part in the sound of either one.

I have no resonators. I removed them because IMO the exhaust was too quiet with them on.I have just Corsa Extreme mufflers but still running through stock cats. I do have Hearthrobe mid pipes I want a power increase if I go long tubes. But I do not want a raspy sounding exhaust. That is why Im asking for input, and im thinking this over. I haven't been in a Coyote with an X pipe installed, so I don't know what it will sound like.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the off road X without resonators and did notice more exhaust when I installed the OTA's without the resonators-as expected-but will be able to hear the difference when I install LT's/off road x next weekend.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
X pipes on the 5.0 cars sound sooooo much better than a H pipe......
I think the total opposite. H is deeper, X is raspier.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lethal-performance-offroad-h-x-pipe-test.html

There is a video comparison in there. To me it isn't really a night/day difference.
Agree, but they have the stock mufflers. My buddy went from an X to and H with GT500's and resonator deletes, it was pretty noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
played the video for my wife, she said she thinks the X sounds deeper than the X. I played it like 5 times and she still says the X sounds deeper :headscratch:

I guess I just need to find some cars to listen to in person. Have GT500 mufflers now and love the muscle car sound. Pretty much sold on going catless H (have an H on my '66 as well), but I wanna hear them in person.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Peak hp perhaps, but an H will give you more power at lower rpm. Everybody talks about peak hp over 5K rpm but how much time do you actually spend there?

Lethal did a comparison on a Coyote. The h made a few hp under around 5500 and the x made a few more over the same rpm. Now if you launch at 6k you won't see the benefit of the h. Even if you take off normally you get the benefit of the h in 1st gear and then every gear after that the rpms stay above 5k when you shift which is where the x makes more hp. So when racing the majority of your time will be in the upper rpms assuming that you get through 3 or more gears.

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
Lethal did a comparison on a Coyote. The h made a few hp under around 5500 and the x made a few more over the same rpm. Now if you launch at 6k you won't see the benefit of the h. Even if you take off normally you get the benefit of the h in 1st gear and then every gear after that the rpms stay above 5k when you shift which is where the x makes more hp. So when racing the majority of your time will be in the upper rpms assuming that you get through 3 or more gears.

I contacted Lethal. They told me that there wasnt enough difference power wise to be concerned. They said that choice depends on what type of sound you want. H more deep muscle car , X more exotic. Their words

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back