Coyote vs 3v exhaust sound.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It looks like the 4.6 has one more same bank event than the 5.0.
Not possible. Not with any normal crossplane crank that has two rods per crankpin. Only the specific pairs of same-bank cylinder numbers change, and you still get one same-bank event per bank per two crankshaft revolutions (which alternates and is why if you get up close and midway between the exhaust pipe outlets and listen closely enough the rumble alternates right side - left side - right side - and so on ).

Norm

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
depressing.png

adjacent cylinders firing, then... (across banks)

There's nothing in common with the sound!

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am rolling yours right now lol. I love the sound. Ill probably go with long tubes to up the volume though.

LOL, oh that was you :roflmao:

Corsa says NOT to use their Extremes with Long Tubes. Apparently it ends up sounding extremely raspy. Something to do with the frequencies the Corsa Extremes cancel out and which they don't.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO its merely coincidental if one thinks the Coyote sounds "exotic". Ford deferred back to the firing order used in Ford flat head V8 engines in the early 20th century when they designed the Coyote 5.0. I prefer to credit yester-century with the sound of the Coyote.

There is no doubt the two sound distinctly different. Aside from the firing order change, the stock rev limit is 7000 on the Coyote and 6250 (???) on the 4.6 3v stock v stock. In addition as mentioned in other replies, stock v stock a different header design was also used. It took me a good deal of time to get used to the stock sound of my 13.To be honest I didn't care for it until I changed the exhaust out. Changing that alone resolved much of my disliking especially at high RPM. After all I had been driving a 2005 with cams LT's back exhaust, and SC tuned by an awesome local yocal. I was used to the 3V built up sound.

For argument's sake, a poorly tuned VW beetle will sound like crap compared to one optimally tuned, for the person who likes the sound of a VW Beetle. That can be said of any engine setup. Exhaust component combination choices can also make a car sound awesome or like crap...however this is all in the ears of the beholder.

In the end, I'd have no issue with either exhaust note. Each have their uniqueness and can be distinguished from other muscle cars.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the coyote trucks use the same firing order as a 4.6.

No they don't.

The 2011 F150 owners manual has the firing order:

5.0L = 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2
6.2L = 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Coyote = 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 = Same as F150

302 HO/351W/4.6 2V/4.6 3V/4.6 4V = 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 351C, 351M and 400M too
All other Windors/429/460/FE's = 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
Flathead/Y-Block = 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 Same as Coyote

Yes I went and looked them all up. Don't post shit without confirming your right. Sloppy info is not cool.

Ford Firing Oders.png

Last edited:

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
since you want to talk to me like im a fucking bitch, here you go a stock file from a 2015 f150

2015 f150.PNG

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
AFAIK the biggest item to change the exhaust note is exhaust configuration. Installing 'tuned' headers makes all engines sound somewhat similar, with a nice smooth NASCAR growl. I am doing that now on my 2010 4.6L.

Look at these stock manifolds and it's easy to see that the exhaust pulses will be bunching up on their way out and will result in that "classic muscle car" sound, which basically means it sounds like an old farm tractor, LOL. And oh BTW, these manifolds have whopping 2" outlets, haha. But I'm still making 625rwhp through them..........................
exmanifolds.jpg

Compare those crappy manifolds to these equal-length Kooks headers that I'm installing and it's easy to see that the exhaust note will change dramatically.
headers22.jpg

I’m really curious what that power difference would be if the stock manifolds still got you 625hp

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The drive by wire can be a pain but when tuned right it feels just like a cable throttle. Cables can stretch and snap as much as TB motors can fail. I haven't had issues with the plugs either. Pulling them out every 10-15k to check them will prevent them from seizing or breaking. My only complaint about those is the cost so if I see them discounted I hoard a set or two. Another possible downfall of the 3v is the VCT. Guys who race lock it out but for most people it's great thing to have - only when it's working right.

Stock vs stock there is barely any power difference between a 3v and a NA 4.6 4v setup but the 4v will be the preferred head for max effort builds.

I understand where your coming and agree about the complaints/downfalls of the 4.6 3v design.. Other than that, I've been very pleased with how well it's performed and responded to mod upgrades.. Although just as you and I previously mentioned about barely any power differences between the 3v and NA 4.6 4v stock vs stock.. The NA 4.6 4v also has more potential as the preferred head for max effort builds, due to it's forged internals..

Not as much as having that 4th valve suggests should have been the case, though.

I wish the 4.6 had come in a 4V version. Even if I was going to go with a hotter set of cams, I'd still rather start at the higher performance point and higher potential. It's not like I'm going to try lots of different sets like some people used to do back in the day with a different cam in their SBC every time you turned around.

Bad enough the entire modular engine family was hamstrung with such small cylinder bores and stroke dimensions equal to or greater than that. Emissions influence aside, I could easily blame that on the same people who later came up with that 2-piece plug design that flew in the face of literally billions of plugs that didn't prefer to break upon removal.

Norm

Other than the plug/head design of the 2005-early/mid 2008 4.6 3v and drive by wire tech, I have no other complaints at all.. But I totally agree and also wish the 4.6 had come in a 4V version as well, not only for the reasons I posted but also for it's higher performance point/higher potential, just as you pointed out thanks to having all forged internals :waytogo:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score

For argument's sake, a poorly tuned VW beetle will sound like crap compared to one optimally tuned, for the person who likes the sound of a VW Beetle. That can be said of any engine setup. Exhaust component combination choices can also make a car sound awesome or like crap...however this is all in the ears of the beholder.........

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ That is pretty much what I was trying to say originally. :)

As for the "fly by wire" throttle, I would rather have a cable too. But let me say this: aside from the hours I spent with the wiring on the Coyote swap, this was THE easiest swap I have ever done.(and I've done a few swaps) 99% of the swap was done with "off the shelf" parts. And what it was going to sound like was waaay down on the list of project goals. I still like LOUD cars & bikes, but now I want maximum performance. And loud does not always equal power. ;)

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
If Im not mistaken the 11-14 f150s had the mustang coyote firing order but that was changed to the 4.6 firing order in 15.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
080.jpg

since you want to talk to me like im a fucking bitch, here you go a stock file from a 2015 f150

View attachment 66021

Wasn't talking to you like you're "a fucking bitch" but if you self identify as that.... that's your business. This board is pretty strong on having excellent and accurate tech info. That is what I was saying. If you make a statement as fact, be able to back it up. Expect to be challenged from time to time.

If you are wrong. Admit it and learn and move on. If your balls get busted for it. Own it. If you have thin skin, move along. This is not the board you're looking for.

Now after your post I decided to dig a little deeper. Because I like to learn and being challenged is a good thing. Found conflicting reports and claims. So I went to the horses mouth if you will.

In the 2015 F150 Owners Manual it says the 5.0 is still the same as the Mustang 5.0. But in the 2016 and 2017 and 2018 F150 Owners Manuals it says the 5.0 is now 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Same as the 302 HO/351W/351C/351M/400M/4.6 2V/4.6 3V/4.6 4V.

Your 2015 file contradicts the Owners Manual. Maybe the change was midyear or maybe the manual wasn't updated.

But this is "news". I'd bet many here were not aware of this change. I wasn't. Coyote trucks have been around for about 8 years now and they are not all the same firing order as the Mustang 5.0. Had you said Ford changed the truck firing order in 2015 or 2016 to the old modular order, that would have been met with a different response.

Lighten up. Grow a thicker skin. Don't be "a fucking bitch" about things.

Neither of us was totally right or totally wrong.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Holy cow this means the mustang cams won't work in the 2015-16 truck 5.0 engines.

Great fighting and info in this thread!!

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If Im not mistaken the 11-14 f150s had the mustang coyote firing order but that was changed to the 4.6 firing order in 15.

I did not know that. Why would they even make such a change?

Also, I'm on the market for a 2015+ 5.0 F150 so that means it'll sound better when I put exhaust on it :D

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Truck cams rhs exh 15-16-17 on bottom 14 and earlier top.

BR3Z-6250-G (also fits 5.0 mustang)

FL3Z-6250-C (no longer crosses to car.)

...so if you want the higher lift mustang intake cam on a 15-16 "golden boy" truck engine... You change all 4 and the firing order.

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I did not know that. Why would they even make such a change?

Also, I'm on the market for a 2015+ 5.0 F150 so that means it'll sound better when I put exhaust on it :D

I remember reading something in passing a while ago then when I googled it I saw a thread where someone took a portion out of his '15 f150 owners manual. Im not sure what necessitated the change, maybe ford wanted to get back the the old firing order. The non ho's had that firing order then they changed all those motors to the ho firing order. Maybe they feel one is better than the other? I dont know why it would.

Id like to find a gen 2 coyote myself because the upgrades over the gen 1 but imo, moneywise for me anyway, its not worth it. Even if it does have the better sounding exhaust lol. That actually would be an interesting video a comparison of the two firing orders with the same exhaust setup just to really lay this to rest.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back