Mass Air Sensor with Procharger D1 problems

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to get my car tuned after my engine build & upgrade to the Procharger D1 & we ran into some issues with the MAS pegging out at around 4100 RPM. This was with a MAFia extender. We tested it with another MAFia, same result. Test with another stock MAS, same result. It looks a though there is no enough range in the stock MAS. After doing some searching, I think the HPX MAS may be my answer. It is a 3 hour drive to my tuner so I want to make sure this will solve my issue before I make another trip.

Has anyone run into the same issue & what did you do to correct it? Thanks for any :helpme:.

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to get my car tuned after my engine build & upgrade to the Procharger D1 & we ran into some issues with the MAS pegging out at around 4100 RPM. This was with a MAFia extender. We tested it with another MAFia, same result. Test with another stock MAS, same result. It looks a though there is no enough range in the stock MAS. After doing some searching, I think the HPX MAS may be my answer. It is a 3 hour drive to my tuner so I want to make sure this will solve my issue before I make another trip.

Has anyone run into the same issue & what did you do to correct it? Thanks for any :helpme:.

Hey man, I am having a similar issue. Is your MAF in the intercooler? Mine is in the intercooler on the discharge side of the tank... On the log is it pegging at 5V and flatlining or does the airflow just look like it is leveling off and it runs out of power... Thats what mine is doing... I have been chasing this problem for a while man...

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A few guys here including myself are pushing 600rwhp+ on the stock MAF with a MAFia

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
Oh I know... thats why I was asking what I asked... After talking to Mike at Livernois I am starting to question the limits of the location of the MAF in this setup... which is in the intercooler tank

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'm running an HPX meter in the old location for the MAF and not in the intercooler. My kit does not have that option. I'm running nearly 25psi of boost and about 900 AD counts.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey man, I am having a similar issue. Is your MAF in the intercooler? Mine is in the intercooler on the discharge side of the tank... On the log is it pegging at 5V and flatlining or does the airflow just look like it is leveling off and it runs out of power... Thats what mine is doing... I have been chasing this problem for a while man...

My MAF is in the tube coming up from the intercooler, before the bend to the throttle body. Mine is pegging at about 4.5 V with the MAFia set at 2.

I think this may be an issue more with the Procharger set up than with the twin screw set ups because of the smaller intake tubing & the Procharger pushes boosted air past the sensor while the twin screws pull no boosted air past the sensor.

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
My MAF is in the tube coming up from the intercooler, before the bend to the throttle body. Mine is pegging at about 4.5 V with the MAFia set at 2.

I think this may be an issue more with the Procharger set up than with the twin screw set ups because of the smaller intake tubing & the Procharger pushes boosted air past the sensor while the twin screws pull no boosted air past the sensor.

Mine is in the intercooler... hmmmm... i know the difference in the two setups but I guess there isn't a pattern to this damn problem i'm having

i still think mine is an issue with the cams... at lower boost levels mine is good but at high boost levels it quirks up... i'm sure it could be straightened out on a dyno though

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score

go to vmp tunning website and justin has a chart showing how much horsepower you can get out of the stock maf and the aftermarket ones using different size pipe !

on my novi 2200 if I was going to put the maf in the pipe going to the t/b right out of the inter cooler I would only be able to make 400 wrhp due to the pipe size . I know using the aftermarket slot type meters you can get alot more hp using small pipping than the stock maf with the diablo Mafia !

07samCS

forum member
Reaction score

thats where the difference is...a slot style maf will measure more air in suck-through(before power adder) than blow-through(after power adder). i have never heard of one pegging at 4.5 though. i used to push my lightning mafs (90mm) to the edge (4.97) before going up on the mafia.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
What boost & timing are you running on your street tune? I'm hoping mine will dial in with similar #'s.
I think it was 20 psi and 18 deg but would have to ck to be sure ? By the way my Mafia is set at 4 and has been from day 1 .

Last edited:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Or 713 rwhp At 24 psi ! Mine is in the pipe about 16 in. before the TB .

I know some men have issues with finding out the correct measurement :whistling: but is that 16in the length of the stock placement for the maf or did you some how move it up? I heard of people trying to move it closer to the TB or making the pipe smaller so the maf and tuning would not be such a Biotch.

I ran stock maf with the Mafia but with cold start issues and crappy running if the car cooled down, I just dont know If it was a tuning issue and/ or maf. I'm not sure if I should try something else for the SYT 2. Either way I think I will F' it up.... because... thats what I do :beerdrink:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I know some men have issues with finding out the correct measurement :whistling: but is that 16in the length of the stock placement for the maf or did you some how move it up? I heard of people trying to move it closer to the TB or making the pipe smaller so the maf and tuning would not be such a Biotch.

I ran stock maf with the Mafia but with cold start issues and crappy running if the car cooled down, I just dont know If it was a tuning issue and/ or maf. I'm not sure if I should try something else for the SYT 2. Either way I think I will F' it up.... because... thats what I do :beerdrink:
It is in the fac Procharger location in the pipe . If anything I under size the mesurment . LOL!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
you were at 4 on your mafia all this time? even at 12+ psi? cold start issues? even at the track I could not let the car cool down too much or the car would stumble when I step on the gas.. pretty crappy but it was that way even after it has gone through MANY tuners =-/

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rick,

You have lots of room left on that combo. You don't need to waste money on another MAF.
Just need to start turning that Mafia up. Setting 3 or even 4 like Billy.

Good luck with it all, I look forward to hearing about the results when you're all tuned up.

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
Does anyone here with a Procharger have the MAF in the intercooler?

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think we may have found the issue. Diablo said the "Enable Predicted Aircharge Scalar" has to be shut off in the tune. We did try turning up the MAFia from 2 to 3 & got more RPMs before it would lean out. We then went to 5 & it climbed even higher in the RPM before leaning out. I have a HPX sensor on the way that should give me more range & with that & the change in the tune noted above I hope we have this sorted out. I am hoping to get it back on the dyno next week.

I think it was 20 psi and 18 deg but would have to ck to be sure ?

Are you running this on pump gas? I am worried about running 16-18 psi with 16 deg. We mainly have 91 octane available & you must be on 93 if it is pump gas.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back