New Owner of a GT500

booster19

Reaction score
Well after much debate and feedback I was convinced, actually educated by members of this forum, I brought home my newest S197 Mustang. I will eventually list the detailed specifications of my car but for now just an introduction.
Sitting on 20" Giovanna rims and
Pirelli P Zero rubber is my new 2008 Mustang GT500 Shelby Cobra. With over $30000 in documented upgrades the car currently setup for 91 Octane is pushing 560HP and 536lbs of torque to the wheels that's close to 700hp to the flywheel. I haven't been able to get the grin off my face all day, it's a blast to drive, kinda scary with Traction Control turned off, but I'll get the hang of it. Anyway this one will be staying inside 90% of the year while I drive my SC 06 Mustang GT as my daily driver. Will post more info ltr and plans for the future. Thanks for looking and again great group of guys n gals with a lot of knowledge floating around.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Good color choice.

560 whp is no where near 700 crank, more like 630-640

booster19

Reaction score

I have like 8 different dyno sheets I probably mixed up the numbers there is one where flywheel hp 700 but anyway there's a few ways to convert RWHP to Crankshaft HP it's not always the same drivetrains all sorts of things can affect the conversion.
560rw is closer to 648 but everyone has their own formula. But I know how important it is here on the forum to be as accurate as possible and have the data to back it up because if U don't it just turns into a debate which then turns into a argument.

The car is dyno'd tested for up to 700hp. The current numbers will be posted as soon as I can upload the data. I do know the car is running at 14psi on a Paul's High Performance Stage 3 blower and intercooler, Paul has been the only Mechanic to work on the car since the day the original owner took possession of the key's. Everything done to this care has been completed by Ford including a Custom Roll cage installed with seats and 6pt harness.

20190409_235855.jpg

Sorry folks cheap cell equals cheap pics.
These numbers are from 2017 but there's only been 900 miles drove on the car since the tune date. I know it's not much there's plenty of Mustangs out there pushing a lot more than mine. But for me, compared to the 410hp I have on my 06 4.6l 3v that's also SC it's not even in the same Galaxy as the GT500. Maybe someday I will see what else I can do but it's perfect for street driving which is the only kind of driving this car is gonna see for a while. ✌

20190409_235815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flusher

Reaction score
Everything done to this care has been completed by Ford including a Custom Roll cage installed with seats and 6pt harness.

Congratulations! I would really like more information on and pictures of the cage and interior. Thanks

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is it me or are the stripes over the trunk and down the ass end wider than the hood/roof? they look a lot wider than mine

drivetrain loss on these cars is not 20%, you're not 700 hp crank.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
is it me or are the stripes over the trunk and down the ass end wider than the hood/roof? they look a lot wider than mine...

They're not cut out around third brake light, license plate and panel edges. Might be painted...

30K in upgrades, you do mean 3K right?

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they are painted, he said so, they look unequal in width to me

booster19

Reaction score
Congratulations! I would really like more information on and pictures of the cage and interior. Thanks

The Ford dealership in Mesa AZ customized a Steeda Roll cage then added the Recaro seats and I have to look cause I can't remember the brand but it included a 6pt harness.
The invoice for all the materials and labor was $10k but that was in 2008 so not sure what the inflation rate is on Roll Cages. Lastly as much as I would love to show you pictures of everything the last owner had it removed for personal reasons I guess. I personally would of kept it just like it was when it was purchased but it was out of my hands.

KRS

Reaction score
So what your saying is that it had a roll cage that has been removed, if I’m understanding correctly. Does it still have the Recaro seats.

You don’t really want a roll cage in a street car anyway.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the GT500!

540-560 rwhp is typical on these cars with a small pulley, aftermarket intake, and a proper tune.
Drivetrain loss on '05+ Mustangs is typically at 13-15%, so no, you're not at 700 crank hp.
My Whippled '13 GT last dyno'd at 605-608 rwhp and I still don't think I'm at 700 crank hp.
There's another way to look at drivetrain loss too ... if the drivetrain of a particular car needs 65 hp to run when the car is stock, how can the same driveline need 150 hp to run when the car is modded?
A stock '07-'09 GT500 dynoes at about 435 rwhp so its driveline uses 65 hp. Kinda hard to believe that the same driveline all of a sudden will use 150 hp when the same car puts down 550 rwhp.

Regardless, your car is a blast, I bet.
My wife's '08 GT500 was at about 545 rwhp (with a small pulley, a 110 mm JLT CAI, and a tune) when we met.
About 2 years ago we upgraded to a lightly ported '13 GT500 blower (a TVS unit), a bigger throttle body (the Ford twin-65 mm), '13 GT500 injectors, a 123 mm JLT CAI, and of course a new tune.
The car dyno'd at 656 rwhp and 661 rwtq :)
With the 3.73 gears and that torque, she and I both get huge grins on our faces anytime we drive it. :)

Again, congrats on picking up the GT500 ... it's an awesome car!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Get a drag radial on that car if you haven't already. Congrats

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Congrats, the car looks great and I'm glad it still has the stock taillights.
I'd echo what Gabe said earlier about 530-560rwhp being typical of an 07-09 GT500 that has a CAI, smaller supercharger pulley, and a dyno tune.
When you consider that it came with about 430-435rwhp stock and a claimed 500hp at the crank, that's a 13-14% drivetrain loss. Your 560rwhp would translate into roughly 650hp at the crank or 30% higher than stock.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
CONGRATS!!! I'm looking for a 2007 - 2009 GT 500 right now. Have to sell a mint 99 New Edge SVT Cobra Vert that I picked up on the side first to raise most of the cash. Car has been evaluated at $20,000.00 For sale by 3 different Professionals (It's Almost a Concours Car. The dealers are only making me offers of $6,500.00 to $10,000. Off to Craig's List I go.. LOL

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Does the car come with LT's ?? And for you folks with GT-500's..that installed LT's, how much difference did it make ?

booster19

Reaction score
Okay so the stripes are painted and who ever did it did a fantastic job, all the edges are straight as an arrow which if you paint cars is the part that most if not all critics will judge. I will have to measure the stripes please understand I'm only using a 3 yr old LG Cricket phone so it isn't the best camera.
I had the pleasure to speak with the previous owner, Blake Hartman who drove this car on road courses, he didn't sound like a big fan of dragstrip racing. He currently has 2 Ford GT's and a believe he said a 2014 Boss 302 C? Something about basically being a race car vs the standard Boss you see driving around. So I will try to keep his comments as accurate as possible. Blake currenrly owns 2 Ford GT's and a 2014 Boss 302S and a slew of other cars by other manufactures. So not wanting to reinvent the wheel or get into some big debate how this isn't possible or that, I'm guessing the guy who is in his 60s now, is pretty knowledgeable like many of you guys are.
Paul's Performance in Michigan has worked on this car since day 1 the original owner had to pay extra to get the GT500 early to get it out as one of the first 08 Shelby's rolled off the line. I have to find the lineage but it should have been one of the first 2008's to get the Shelby makeover if there's anyway to find this kind of info please point me where I need to go. The original drivetrain was completely upgraded by Ford per the buyer's request I have 4 pages of part numbers adding up to over $12k. Everything ranging from a Inland Empire one piece aluminum driveshaft to the Ford's 'drag package' with items like a set ceramic shorty headers. Then the Paul's Performance Stage 3 Supercharger was installed, I gather Paul is well known for his ported blowers and other performance parts and his ability to tune to make everything run happy. After that like a month later in 2008 the Steeda roll cage with Recaro Seats with Schroth 6pt harness assembly, tow hooks, hood vents, and a couple other things were fabricated and installed for an additional $10k. The last time Blake had the car at Paul's in August of 2017 the car had 665hp at the crank and 641lbs of torque. That was with reading 554rwhp and 534lbs of torque. He told me how they had to install the second battery setup in the trunk because the alternator wasn't able to keep up and short of having someone build one from spec the battery was easier. Blake alao had to have Baer Brakes custom make him rotors because the Baer factory setup kept breaking rotor's and going thru a set of pads every race, the one part of the car he said I should change. Other than the constant squeaking when I apply the brakes I doubt I'll be running it like I stole it and busting rotors.
I will be having my own dyno test done eventually and I will post those results when I do. Guys I believe everything being said here also and until then who really knows how the hell my car is running. After hearing the car has 13000 miles and a good portion of those were racing on road courses I have to pray the motor has a decent life expectancy or if I'll be looking at replacing some internal parts here shortly. I figured for $29k I just bought a $80,000 car minus a roll cage, and 6pt harness. I call that a win any day, even if it's only worth $30k to everyone else and I get to be part of the Shelby owner list that started way back in 1965.
To be continued....

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back