Reved up by mistake during lube cycling

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
There is a difference between boiling your engine over and running to near boiling over. A
My point is engines are not as indestructible as they would have you think. They test engines to death and the public finds new ways to kill them. I have a 6.0 diesel in my plow truck. Good powerful engine when it’s not broken. Ford followed it with a 6.4. I hear it’s no better. I have a Triton V10 in my motorhome. When will it blow a spark plug out of a head? Ford beat the hell out of the 4.6 3V but they still had spark plug problems until 2008. Crumbling oil pump gears? Broken timing chain gears? Did any of these things show up during the test booth runs?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My point is engines are not as indestructible as they would have you think. They test engines to death and the public finds new ways to kill them. I have a 6.0 diesel in my plow truck. Good powerful engine when it’s not broken. Ford followed it with a 6.4. I hear it’s no better. I have a Triton V10 in my motorhome. When will it blow a spark plug out of a head? Ford beat the hell out of the 4.6 3V but they still had spark plug problems until 2008. Crumbling oil pump gears? Broken timing chain gears? Did any of these things show up during the test booth runs?

I never said they were indestructible. I didn't even imply they were indestructible. Nor did I say they don't have problems in the real world that don't get caught in testing. I did say that production engines are made to go WOT cold.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I never said they were indestructible. I didn't even imply they were indestructible. Nor did I say they don't have problems in the real world that don't get caught in testing. I did say that production engines are made to go WOT cold.
Until you blow head gaskets, break piston skirts or float a valve you will be fine. I’m sure the cam journals really like cold start hi rev! You pointed out fords durability testing and results. I call bullshit on their testing when it is applied to the real world.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Until you blow head gaskets, break piston skirts or float a valve you will be fine. I’m sure the cam journals really like cold start hi rev! You pointed out fords durability testing and results. I call bullshit on their testing when it is applied to the real world.

cold start or hot, the oil film is still there from the last time it ran and it won't start if it doesn't have pressure as already stated in the very thread (assuming that's true). On failed cam journals, you'll need to prove to me that the issue isn't owner driven. Most failures for most things in my experience are user driven. Low on oil? Wrong oil?

Was your friends Ecoboost 100% totally stock as it left Ford? Or was it tuned?

EDIT: We've all heard Fords start up. They turn over for at least a full second before firing. In that second they have full oil pressure.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
On failed cam journals
Scored cam journals are easy. I have seen this on more than one engine and on more than one brand. Let your car set outside over night at 40* below zero or colder without a block warmer. Plug it in for 20 minutes or so and fire it up. If it starts it may run on a couple cylinders, than a couple more and then all will fire. Do this crap every night, all winter because it costs too much to plug it in all night and you will screw up the cam journals on the 5.4 in your truck. This treatment will do the same thing to the 2200 six banger in a Toyota pickup and it will destroy the top end of a small block Chevy. People do this kinda crap all the time.
To the best of my knowledge, the EcoBoost was stock. I also thought Ford had engines programmed to shut down before they would burn up. I agree with your driver induced statement.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Scored cam journals are easy. I have seen this on more than one engine and on more than one brand. Let your car set outside over night at 40* below zero or colder without a block warmer. Plug it in for 20 minutes or so and fire it up. If it starts it may run on a couple cylinders, than a couple more and then all will fire. Do this crap every night, all winter because it costs too much to plug it in all night and you will screw up the cam journals on the 5.4 in your truck. This treatment will do the same thing to the 2200 six banger in a Toyota pickup and it will destroy the top end of a small block Chevy. People do this kinda crap all the time.
To the best of my knowledge, the EcoBoost was stock. I also thought Ford had engines programmed to shut down before they would burn up. I agree with your driver induced statement.

40 below?!?! Where do you live?! Antarctica? LOL!! But seriously you must live in like Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
40 below?!?! Where do you live?! Antarctica? LOL!! But seriously you must live in like Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Fairbanks, Alaska. It can be 60*F below zero for a few weeks and -40 for longer than that. My car lives in a heated garage and never sees temperatures below freezing.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Have you guys seriously never heard of flood mode on your cars? If you hold the pedal to the floor the car will not start. So all this talk about wot at start up is wasted breath, or finger strokes. As far as their being full oil pressure at start up, just more wasted breath. When the engine is new, sure. Cheesenfukn crackers, some of these motors are over 200k. It certainly will not hurt the engine to use flood mode. Not saying it will help. But once again, nothing is going to happen if you do.
EDIT: Of course if you some how manage to go 90 percent throttle and continue to hold it there after the car fires and you then somehow manage to stay in it til the car reaches high rpm, yeah that might be a problem. Geezus. How the hell would you actually accomplish all that accidentally?

Last edited:

MrBhp

Reaction score
L O L

Thx for the clarification, MrBhp.
Yeah. I deserved that. I think this heat is getting to me. Although on the positive side I am getting deadly with a fly swatter. Amazing those little guys can still wiggle around and attempt to fly off with their guts hanging out.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yeah. I deserved that. I think this heat is getting to me. Although on the positive side I am getting deadly with a fly swatter. Amazing those little guys can still wiggle around and attempt to fly off with their guts hanging out.

I got one of those electric bug zappers swatters that looks like a tennis racket. Love the thing. Even left the back door open the other day to see if I could get some game to hunt.

Bullitt2954

Reaction score
I got one of those electric bug zappers swatters that looks like a tennis racket. Love the thing. Even left the back door open the other day to see if I could get some game to hunt.

Those things work great on unsuspecting Wasps. The Wife is no-longer afraid to kill them in the house now - just place it where they will land or crawl on it, then press the button when they’re on board. Takes two or three zaps, but they’re a Goner.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I've got some of those too. I started baiting the screen on one. I just lay it down flat next to me with whatever it is they seem infatuated with and wait for them to land. Then, boom! Sayonara fly.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Let me tag on to this.

I'm hoping to have my build done soon, and I have installed a Brenspeed B326. For first start, whether by holding the throttle to the floor or simply disconnecting power to the fuel pumps, should I crank the engine over for some time before allowing it to start? With the 3vs, does this get oil to the motor?

Brenspeed has break-in instructions, to include letting the car idle to warmup the first time and then immediately changing out the oil. But, nothing about priming or lubing it pre-start.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You can just start it, there is plenty of assembly lube to keep parts lubricated till oil arrives.
To be extra cautious: crank the engine without spark plugs in it. And for the super paranoid, you could watch for oil pressure on a mechanical guage.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back