T/C installed today 3000 stall

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just curious if it is working like it should. I can foot brake up to about 2800 before the rear tires start spinning. cars just feels really "mushy" until I really give it some throttle and the rpm's get up to 4k or so. Don't get me wrong I DO LIKE it...lol, but just curious if a 3000 is supposed to be that loose. I thought I had read somewhere on her that it should start locking up at somewhere around 2400. Any of you guys with 3000 stalls feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Terry

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stall is probably about right. Flash should be a little closer to the actual "stall" number. As for the mushy feel... that's a TCI converter for ya.

You get a tune adjustment for it yet? If not, you will want one. Especially for things like tip in and 5th gear lock up.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
The stall is probably about right. Flash should be a little closer to the actual "stall" number. As for the mushy feel... that's a TCI converter for ya.

You get a tune adjustment for it yet? If not, you will want one. Especially for things like tip in and 5th gear lock up.

+1....

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got what I could afford at the time.....that may chang significantly here in a few months.
If I could round up my Tuner he could probably make the changes I need. I actually get get good 5th gear lock-up about 40-45 and seems to hold until half throttle or so, so I can live with that for a while. Next mod (which I ordered tonight) is a tranny cooler. After driving the car a bit, I can absolutley see how a stall can build up heat. Even though its not a PI or Level 10, I think I will have a good time with it and definitely will "60 ft" much better than the stock converter. Hopefully I wont have to go through the multitude of tuners before I get a good tranny tune.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yea, I have a TCI 3000 and that sounds about right. I can't stall mine anywhere near as high as you though. When I get to 1500-1800 my tires start spinning. It does flash to 3k or I would think something is wrong with it.

Unless I lock the converter in each gear so there is no slip, it feels like it slipping ALL the time until I hit top gear.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you can reach Doug, he has a kick ass street and race tune for your trans.

Operative word being "reach". have already emailed him......just waiting....waiting.

FYI had the t/c installed at a place in Richardson called LT Motorsports, great people, called last week, made the appointment. Got there at 9:30 out the door at 12:30. No complaints what-so-ever. Thery were there when they said they would be, did what they said they would do, for the price they said they would do it for, plus a 10% discount. Again, thats like a sore dick, you just can't beat it.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Got what I could afford at the time.....that may chang significantly here in a few months.
If I could round up my Tuner he could probably make the changes I need. I actually get get good 5th gear lock-up about 40-45 and seems to hold until half throttle or so, so I can live with that for a while. Next mod (which I ordered tonight) is a tranny cooler. After driving the car a bit, I can absolutley see how a stall can build up heat. Even though its not a PI or Level 10, I think I will have a good time with it and definitely will "60 ft" much better than the stock converter. Hopefully I wont have to go through the multitude of tuners before I get a good tranny tune.

Which one did you get? From where?

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought it from a forum member for $100 bucks, spent anoth 100 to have i gone through. I am digging the shit out of it. Marc, do you think the tranny cooler (OEM) is enough to keep the tranny cool with this converter

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.... a place in Richardson called LT Motorsports, ....

Yea, they are good people. And do good work for as few of them as their is and as small of a shop as it is. But right now I am a little burnt at them. I am still waiting on Dan to reply to me on some stuff I asked him back in October.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, they are good people. And do good work for as few of them as their is and as small of a shop as it is. But right now I am a little burnt at them. I am still waiting on Dan to reply to me on some stuff I asked him back in October.

You might try resending as Dan didn't strike me as a "blow you off" kind of guy. email may have just gotten "missed". So what's your opinion on the OEM tranny cooler being enough for a N/A car with a stall

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you will be fine.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I bought it from a forum member for $100 bucks, spent anoth 100 to have i gone through. I am digging the shit out of it. Marc, do you think the tranny cooler (OEM) is enough to keep the tranny cool with this converter

My temps have been fin so far. I will have to see what happens in bumper to bumper traffic while it's 95 degrees outside before I can answer that question.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
Stock tranny cooler should be fine south of 370rwhp, I'm in the process of upgrading mine already because it's getting hot, a line loc is also highly advisable because the brakes being depressed in the rear during a burnout puts a lot of unnessesary stress and heats up the converter and tranny

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
You might try resending as Dan didn't strike me as a "blow you off" kind of guy. email may have just gotten "missed". So what's your opinion on the OEM tranny cooler being enough for a N/A car with a stall
I was running the stock cooler with a 3500 PI forever... even at 550+.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I was running the stock cooler with a 3500 PI forever... even at 550+.

That's good to know. I was thinking about going to a 3500-3800 (maybe 4000) as 3k is clearly too low for my car. I as wondeing how the trans oil cooler would do. I saw a cheap one (for it's size) with a fan for about $110, but if I don't need it, I would rather keep my cash and not have the extra weight.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to quit calling the local Ford dealership the "stealership". Since the place I had the t/c converter installed didn't have a way to put fluid in the tranny I called around to see what the cost of it was to do that (if it needed it), just for peace of mind. The two places I called wanted $80 to $100. I called the Ford dealership and they said $30. When I got there the service writer was looking at the service records for my car and saw that I had never been in for anything. He said that since I hadn't been in ever he would see if he couldn't do this "free gratis", which he did. Can't beat that!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Please tell me I misunderstood you last statement and you didn't drive to the Dealership after the install without adding fluid to the trans.

Earl

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Please tell me I misunderstood you last statement and you didn't drive to the Dealership after the install without adding fluid to the trans.

Earl

Calm down Earl, yes I did, after being sure that the t/c I had installed was filled, using the correct method of "fill and wait, fill and wait" so the fluid had time to seep into all parts of the converter. The place that did the install (which are all former SVO techs and Ford line mechanics) seemed to be comfortable with the fact that the trans was not low on fluid. I would hazard to think that they would be stupid enough to allow me to leave their place knowing the tranny was low on fluid and may burn up, and then have to replace it on their dime. I did ask them about fluid level and also asked them if they guaranteed their work and their reply was "we certainly do".

So in your in answer to your question, yup sure did. And guess what, tranny needed no fluid.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back